Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chang Ching-chung (張慶忠) yesterday said that a man caught on camera beating a television news cameraman at the KMT’s 121st anniversary celebration on Sunday afternoon was his youngest son.
Chang told the Chinese-language Apple Daily that it was his third son, Chang Chun-yung (張鈞詠), who was seen assaulting CtiTV cameraman Kuo Hsien-yang (郭先揚) at the event in New Taipei City’s Banciao District (板橋).
Chang said it was the first time his son had attended such an event.
Photo: Yu Heng, Taipei Times
“My wife [KMT New Taipei City Councilor Chen Ching-ting (陳錦錠)] will take care of the matter and she is very sorry about this,” he said.
The lawmaker, his wife and Chang Chun-yung appeared together late yesterday, bowing and apologizing over the incident.
Chang Chun-yung works as an assistant to his mother.
The incident occurred as reporters, photographers and videographers rushed former KMT chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄), seeking an interview, who kept walking and not responding to questions. Kuo allegedly bumped into Chen or Chang Chun-yung in the process, and the young man reportedly began swearing at him.
According to Kuo, Chang Chun-yung wrapped his arms around his neck and threw him and his camera to the ground, which caused abrasions on his back.
“He then tried to snatch my camera out of my hand, causing some contusions and scratches on my left wrist,” Kuo said.
The cameraman said he has filed charges against Chang Chun-yung and demanded compensation for his damaged camera.
CtiTV’s news channel yesterday released a statement condemning the violence, adding that police are investigating the incident to determine who was at fault.
The incident is another blow for Chang Ching-chung, who is one of the three KMT lawmakers and legislative candidates targeted by the “Voting Out Candidates Movement” initiated by several activist groups.
The groups have cited his move to rush the contentious cross-strait service trade agreement through a legislative committee review in March last year, as well as his stand against lowering the recall threshold and the suspension of construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant, as the reasons he should be voted out of office.
People First Party (PFP) Deputy Secretary-General Liu Wen-hsiung (劉文雄) called on the public not to resort to verbal or physical violence against reporters, saying most of them are professional and diligent and are willing to risk their lives to get first-hand information.
“The culprit represents the city councilor he works for. If he dares treat a reporter in such a manner, how is he going to treat ordinary people? As the old saying goes: A crooked stick will have a crooked shadow,” Liu said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not