Accusations leveled by a 40-year-old man surnamed Chiu (邱) against his Vietnamese wife, surnamed Ting (丁), based on an alleged similarity between Ting and a porn actress were rejected by the Taoyuan District Prosecutors’ Office on Thursday.
According to the office’s investigation, Chiu married his wife in 2003, when she was 18, and had a daughter with her, but the couple had often fought over accusations of infidelity.
In May and June 2011, Ting returned to Vietnam to take care of her mother, but upon her return to Taiwan, Chiu beat her and accused her of committing adultery while in Vietnam, according to the records.
Ting filed a restraining order against Chiu and left their home, the investigation said.
As evidence of his wife’s adultery, Chiu provided the office with links to several videos on pornographic Web sites both in Taiwan and abroad and said that the actress in the videos looked and sounded exactly similar to Ting.
Chiu also cited comments from family and friends, who agreed with Chiu, the report said, adding that Chiu also said he suspected Ting of making the films in 2011 because the videos were apparently filmed in Vietnam.
During the investigation, the prosecutors’ office employed NEC NeoFace software for facial recognition comparison, using the video clips that Chiu provided and four photographs of Ting.
The software detected only a 0.141 percent similarity between the woman in the videos and the photographs of Ting, with strong differences in hair style, eyebrows, eyes, nose, ears and mouth shapes, the office said, adding that the computer software had judged that the woman in the clips was not the same person as the person in the photographs.
The case was closed and Ting would not be charged with adultery, the office said.
The facial recognition software is used in airports to identify passengers, though authorities said that while photographic files of Taiwanese individuals were kept for reference, they are not used for facial recognition, but foreigners are photographed and give fingerprints that are kept in the database when visiting.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a