A Taiwanese tourist was killed on Thursday by a limited express train while posing for photographs with three others using train tracks as backdrop at a train station in a small town in Japan, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed yesterday.
The accident occurred at about 9am at Wakai Station in Shimanto, a town in Takaoka District of Kochi Prefecture, when one of the four was taking pictures of the others, including Ou Ying-yu (歐婷玉), the Chinese-language Apple Daily reported yesterday, citing Japanese media reports.
Ou, 40, was fatally struck, while her friends were lucky to escape, with one suffering minor ankle injury, when the train failed to brake in time, the report said.
The train involved in the crash could operate at a maximum speed of 120kph, equivalent to the maximum speed of the Tzuchiang-class (自強號) train in Taiwan.
It is owned by Tosa Kuroshio Railway Co and runs between Kubokawa and Nakamura stations without stopping at Wakai Station, according to the report.
An emergency brake on the train was applied 300m from Wakai Station when the train driver saw the tourists on the tracks, the report said.
Ou was rushed to a hospital, but doctors were unable to save her, the ministry said, adding that her family in Taiwan and relatives in Tokyo have been informed of her death.
There are signs and warning devices along the tracks that warn tourists to stay off the tracks in English and in Japanese, the ministry said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a