The board of the publicly funded Public Television Service (PTS) Foundation decided on Thursday to set up new guidelines and investigate a controversial last-minute decision to switch programming during the recently ended student-led protest against the government’s handling of the cross-strait service trade pact.
The PTS board focused on incidents during the Sunflower movement, which lasted from March 18 to April 10.
The board included a decision to cancel a rebroadcast of a special on one of its channels, the foundation said in a statement released after the meeting.
On March 31, the station canceled a replay of a program on Sunflower leader Lin Fei-fan (林飛帆) in favor of a concert by late singer Frankie Gao (高凌風), who passed away in February.
That followed a controversy on March 27, when the regular presenter of NGO View, Chi Hui-jung (紀惠容), was conspicuously replaced for an episode on the trade pact, reportedly because of her opposition to the agreement.
PTS chairman Shaw Yu-ming (邵玉銘) said in the statement that the incidents reflected poor management and sloppy decisionmaking at the channel.
Referring to the NGO View incident, he said the board supports existing guidelines for news programs and respects decisions made by each program’s producer, but will instruct management to draft a clearer guideline that meets international standards.
The board also decided to review the March 31 programming change and determine who was responsible for it, the statement said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not