Taiwan Broadcasting System (TBS) temporary staff yesterday protested the group’s policy of using large numbers of them to fill vacancies and called on chairman Shao Yu-ming (邵玉銘) to honor his promise to officially place them on the payroll.
“According to human resources regulations at the company, temporary workers should only fill seasonal, project-oriented and non-core vacancies, but what’s really happening is just the opposite,” said Hsu Chung-fong (許純鳳), a program production crew member at Public Television Service (PTS) — a member of TBS — and a representative of the TBS Dispatch Workers’ Union. “There are some people who have been ‘temporary workers’ for seven or eight years, they have passed interviews by TBS management, so essentially, we are no different from official employees of the company, but this difference in status has barred us from enjoying higher salaries, promotions or company benefits.”
“We are, basically, second-class employees,” she added.
According to figures released by the union, as many as 200, about a fifth, of TBS staff are temporary employees.
While official employees of TBS are entitled to salary raises in accordance with their performance, performance evaluations have no impact on temporary workers’ salaries and they may lose their job if their performance is not considered to be good enough.
“When we [the union] met with Shao in September, he clearly stated that TBS should not use so many temporary workers, that he would launch a thorough assessment of the employment situation within the group and turn temporary workers into official employees,” Hsu said.
She said the results of the assessment are scheduled to be released by the end of the year.
“It’s already November, we don’t know what will happen to us and most of us are very anxious,” she said.
“We call on TBS to explain to all its employees how the assessment is proceeding and create a fair employment assessment system,” Hsu said. “It would be unacceptable if they declare that all temporary workers are to be fired.”
At the same press conference, media reform groups also criticized the process through which PTS made the decision to allow its chief executive Kuang Hsiang-hsia (曠湘霞) to serve a second term last month as “non-transparent,” and asked the TV station to involve more public participation and discussion before making such decisions in the future.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not