Test results on noodles produced by South Korea’s Nongshim Co that were reported to contain traces of benzopyrene and were recalled in South Korea last month, showed low levels of benzopyrene that were within the limits set under international standards, the Department of Health said yesterday.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said shortly after South Korea recalled six Nongshim products, including two types found to contain a known carcinogen, benzopyrene, the agency immediately ordered two Nongshim-brand noodles sold in Taiwan — Neoguri seafood mild noodles and Neoguri seafood spicy noodles — to be taken off store shelves on Oct. 25.
In addition, the FDA said it had asked the New Taipei City (新北市) Government’s health department to inspect all imported Nongshim products and to send samples to the agency for laboratory testing.
Among five samples tested, the spice powders of two Neoguri seafood mild noodles samples were found to contain benzopyrene levels of 1.01 parts per billion (ppb) and 0.97ppb, the FDA said.
The levels of benzopyrene found in the tests were below the limits stipulated by the EU and the WHO, it said, adding that with a benzopyrene concentration of 1.01ppb, a person who weighs 60kg would ingest about 0.012mcg of benzopyrene from one bag of instant noodles, lower than the estimated average daily intake of 0.24mcg (for a person of 60kg) calculated by the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives.
Because the amount of spice powder eaten with instant noodles is small, the exposure to benzopyrene is not considered harmful to human health, the FDA added.
At the Legislative Yuan yesterday, FDA Director-General Kang Jaw-jou (康照洲) said: “We will quickly do a background survey on all food products, and set a standard for the substance after we have gained enough information and have discussed it with specialists.”
FORCED TITLE: Most of the nation’s Olympians identify as Taiwanese, and a majority of them do not hail from Taipei, adding another layer of absurdity to the misnomer The sports world is to focus on the Tokyo Olympic Games starting on Friday, and once again Taiwanese will not have a “Team Taiwan” to cheer for, but will be stuck with the deceitful, contrived name of “Chinese Taipei.” It is a dishonest name, imposed by international politics under pressure from China and the International Olympic Committee, acquiesced to by the former lackeys on Taiwan’s Olympic committee. For a majority of Taiwanese, it is more fitting and simpler to shout “Go Taiwan!” (台灣加油). More people are saying that “Chinese Taipei” is a gross distortion and fraudulent representation for Taiwan’s star athletes in
‘FAILED TACTICS’: A lawmaker said Beijing’s actions in Hong Kong and Taiwan’s success at boosting its ties internationally have boosted identification as Taiwanese Self-identification as “Taiwanese and Chinese,” or solely as “Chinese,” has dropped to record lows, while 63.3 percent of the public regard themselves as Taiwanese, a survey released on Tuesday by National Chengchi University’s Election Study Center showed. Respondents identifying as Taiwanese and Chinese dropped to 31.4 percent, while those identifying solely as Chinese fell to 2.7 percent, the survey showed. The results reflect changes in attitudes since 1994 among Taiwanese toward independence and unification with China, as well as self-identification trends since 1992, commenters said. Support for independence was 25.8 percent, while about 5 percent of respondents said that they want the nation
The national Olympic team yesterday departed for Japan to compete in the Tokyo Games starting on Friday. The 134-strong Olympic delegation includes officials, support staff and 68 athletes, who are to compete in 18 sports through Aug. 8. Taiwan is competing in the Games under the name Chinese Taipei. The delegation is led by Taiwan’s top female weightlifter, Kuo Hsing-chun (郭婞淳), who is to carry the team flag at the opening ceremony. It also includes world No. 1 women’s singles badminton player Tai Tzu-ying (戴資穎), as well as athletes who are to compete in cycling, taekwondo, judo, shooting, canoeing, rowing and archery
ONLY EXCEPTIONS: The mayors of the two largest cities voiced concerns over hidden cases, while all other local governments are to follow eased CECC guidelines All local governments, with the exception of Taipei and New Taipei City, are to allow dine-in services at restaurants after the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Friday announced that it would on Tuesday lower a nationwide COVID-19 alert to level 2. The center on July 8 allowed the resumption of dining at restaurants nationwide — despite keeping the alert level at 3. At the time, this prompted all cities and counties, except Penghu Country, to keep local dine-in bans in place. Following Friday’s CECC announcement that COVID-19 prevention measures would be further relaxed, the Taipei and New Taipei City governments