Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) yesterday mourned those who perished in the village of Siaolin (小林), Greater Kaohsiung, in 2009 and reiterated the government’s responsibility to care for people’s well-being as he concluded his three-day visit to southern Taiwan.
Lee, in a ceremony held at Siaolin Memorial Park yesterday morning, mourned the 462 people killed at Siaolin, which was wiped out in a landslide when Typhoon Morakot devastated the south of the nation in August 2009.
The 89-year-old said it has always been his wish to pay tribute to the dead in Siaolin and he always has a “heartbroken” feeling whenever he thinks about the tragedy, but he had to wait until he had recovered from surgery for cancer to visit the park.
Photo: Chang Chung-yi, Taipei Times
Accompanied by Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chu (陳菊) and a group of residents, Lee toured the park and presented bouquets in front of a pyramid-shaped stone memorial.
He praised the rebuilding efforts of the Greater Kaohsiung Government, saying it was able to take care of the survivors by relocating the village and a permanent housing project, as well as commemorating the deceased, including the installation of 462 name plaques for the dead and the planting of 181 trees at the park to symbolize the 181 families that lived in the village.
“Rarely have we seen governments around the world that have been able to rebuild with such efficiency,” he said. “This is what a democratic society is all about. Governments implement every policy with people’s well-being and their benefit in mind.”
That is why he was promoting local autonomy and local governments, as opposed to the centralization of power, during his three-day trip to Pingtung County and Greater Kaohsiung, he said.
The former president on Wednesday and Thursday urged local governments to fight for their power, rights and land, because the central government neither understands the public’s hardships and difficulties, nor listens to public opinion.
Speaking at a plaza in the memorial park against the backdrop of the devastating landslide, Lee said the park “means a lot to me personally.”
Lee said he had visited the area twice now and both visits had symbolic implications.
In 1986, when he served as vice president under then-president Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國), Lee, a devout Christian, was given an order to resolve the “Mount Zion controversy,” Lee recalled.
Mount Zion is a 200 hectare mountainous area bought and developed by a New Testament Church in the 1960s.
The church promoted self-government and had a long history of fighting against the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) regime, which deployed police and troops to expel worshipers from the area by force, raising human rights concerns.
The visit was the first of a series of trips Lee is scheduled to embark upon, with trips to other parts of the nation being planned.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not