The seventh institutionalized high-level cross-strait talks may take place in Tianjin, China, on Sept. 28 or Sept. 29 at the earliest, an official familiar with cross-strait affairs said on Thursday.
Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) Chairman Chiang Pin-kung (江丙坤) was scheduled to meet with his counterpart — Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits (ARATS) Chairman Chen Yunlin (陳雲林) — last month to sign two agreements on nuclear safety cooperation and investment protection, on behalf of their respective governments.
However, the meeting was postponed because the two sides failed to reach agreement in time on critical points regarding the investment protection pact, especially the provisions on trade dispute arbitration and personal safety of Taiwanese investors in China.
According to the official, the negotiations are now in the final stages and the two sides plan to hold a final round of preliminary talks in Beijing soon.
“If the discussions proceed smoothly, the relevant agencies will immediately make arrangements for the seventh Chiang-Chen meeting to seal the two agreements,” the official said.
If all goes well, he said, the conference may open on either Sept. 28 or Sept. 29 in Tianjin.
It was reported earlier that the problems had to do with the investment protection agreement, particularly regarding investors’ personal safety, and a mechanism for settling trade disputes.
Chiang said late last month that there were not many areas of conflict, but the finishing touches were not yet complete.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a