Taiwan is not likely to see a magnitude 9 earthquake or above, but it must be prepared for a magnitude 8 earthquake and an ensuing tsunami, the National Science Council (NSC) said yesterday.
Pointing to the historical data of earthquake reports in Taiwan between 1900 and 1999, NSC Deputy Minister Chen Cheng-hong (陳正宏) said: “We have yet to find an earthquake measuring above 7.5 on the Richter scale.”
“If we are to give a more conservative estimate, we think the largest earthquake would probably not exceed magnitude 8, but we cannot completely rule out that possibility either,” he said.
According to Chen, a magnitude 8 earthquake is most likely to occur off the nation’s northeast coast as a result of the Philippine Sea Plate moving north toward the edge of the Okinawa Trough.
He said the Taiwan Strait was very shallow, making it difficult to cause a continuous rupture zone when the sea plate moves toward it. This in turn would reduce the possibility of a strong earthquake, he said.
Nevertheless, Chen said that quake magnitude was not always proportional to the damage caused and urged the public to remain vigilant.
Chen said a tsunami was not likely to form on the nation’s east coast because the sea area was very deep.
While the tsunami induced by the massive earthquake in Japan on March 11 generated a wave height of 10m on Japan’s east coast, the wave height was reduced to 30cm by the time it reached Okinawa and 10cm when it reached Taiwan’s east coast.
“The southeast region is the most likely to be hit by a tsunami,” Chen said, adding that scientists could predict the impact of a tsunami in different places by using various simulations.
Meanwhile, Chen said the council has invited several researchers to study the Okinawa Trough and the Manila Trench to estimate the potential impact of a strong earthquake and tsunami on Taiwan. He said the results of their research could be released within three to six months.
Information collected through the research will be used by the nation’s disaster prevention and relief agencies, Chen added.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY STAFF WRITER
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a