The Consumers' Foundation and the Bureau of Standards, Metrology and Inspection yesterday said that two brands of paint on the market contain high levels of volatile organic compounds and could cause health and environmental problems.
The bureau yesterday ordered the manufacturers of the two toxic paint products — Rainbow Paint and Bai Li Paints — to immediately recall the products and take them off the shelves or face repeated fines of up to NT$200,000 (US$6,358).
The consumer rights watchdog said that tests conducted on 25 brands of paint currently sold in the country showed that all 17 brands of water-based paints passed safety standards.
It also found that two out of the eight brands of oil-based paints were found to contain volatile organic compounds as high as 29 percent above the maximum allowable level of 450g/liter set by the Chinese National Standard (CNS) 15080, said Yeh Shin-cheng (葉欣誠), an inspector at the foundation.
The foundation said that as do-it-yourself home improvement has become more popular among home owners and more stores sell paint to people for their own projects, the quality standards of paint products and their correct use have become increasingly important.
“Exposure to volatile organic compounds can pose serious health risks, because of their long-term carcinogenic [cancer-causing] effect,” Yeh said.
The foundation and the bureau also found that 10 brands of paint inspected did not properly label information such as place of origin, main ingredients or expiration date.
Consumers who buy paint for their own projects are advised to wear facemasks, and to make sure the area where they are working is well ventilated while painting and until the paint is fully dry.
The foundation also recommends consumers choose water-based paints whenever possible, as oil-based paints are harder to control in terms of the proportion of solvent added and have a more acrid smell.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a