The Air Force is organizing a fly-by over Taipei for Aug. 11 to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Air Force Day on Aug. 14.
"We will get all our fighter aircraft in the air, including Mirage 2000-5s, F-16D Falcons, IDFs [Indigenous Defense Fighters] as well as the well-known Thunder Tiger Aerobatics Team (
"It has been 16 years since the last time we had a fly-by over Taipei. It is time for us to do so again because it is the 70th anniversary of 814 Air Force Day."
Liu made his remarks during a press conference at the Ministry of National Defense yesterday morning. To celebrate the 70th anniversary of Air Force Day, Liu said five concerts will be held in Taipei, Hualien, Hsinchu, Tainan and Penghu, a photo exhibition at the Sun Yat-sen (
The fly-by will be at Taipei's Sungshan Command Headquarters on Aug. 11 and there will also be an open house at the base. The concerts will be held at Tainan Culture Center on July 24, Penghu Culture Center on July 25, Hualien Culture Center on July 31, Hsinchu Culture Center on Aug. 1 and Taipei's National Concert Hall on Aug. 9.
In addition to local media, many foreign correspondents, including Japanese journalists, were present at yesterday's press conference.
The atmosphere was a little awkward when Ministry spokesman Major General Yu Sy-tue (
During World War II, the Chinese Air Force had approximately 300 aircraft while the Japanese had around 2,000.
The Chinese Air Force began to bomb Japanese battleships and marines' command headquarters in the Shanghai area On Aug. 13, 1937.
The Japanese decided to retaliate on Aug. 14 and assigned 18 bombers from Taipei to attack the Chinese Air Force's Chienchiao base in Hangzhou. However, three of the Japanese bombers were shot down by the Chinese Air Force, which suffered no casualties.
The victory encouraged Chinese pilots while destroying the myth that Japanese pilots were invincible. The Air Force decided to make Aug. 14 "Air Force Day."
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a