A former politician who became infamous after a friend secretly taped her trysts with several men and leaked a sex video CD to a magazine, has been hired by a Macau TV station as its news anchor, a local cable television station reported yesterday.
Chu Mei-feng (璩美鳳), 40, was to start broadcasting evening news on Macau Asian Satellite TV (MASTV) yesterday, cable TV channel ETTV reported.
MASTV has reportedly signed Chu for an annual fee of HK$3 million (US$360,000), ETTV said.
A former TV journalist and Taipei City councilor with the New Party, Chu unwillingly became the star of a video in 2001 when a friend secretly installed a video camera in her bedroom to tape her trysts with married men.
Her friend handed the footage to the Scoop weekly magazine, leading to Chu's political downfall as the VCD quickly circulated throughout Southeast Asia.
Chu capitalized on the publicity by writing her biography, Confessions of Chu Mei-feng, and later moved to London.
Chu said the incident taught her that one should never give up.
"I want to tell everyone: Even if you are down and trodden and feel there is no way out, you should not give up. Because one moment you see only darkness, the next minute you may see stars in the sky. This is my experience," she said in a TV interview in January.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a