The Ministry of National Defense has sought to compromise with opposition parties on the arms procurement budget by delaying the budget for three PAC-3 missile batteries to next year.
The ministry already reduced the proposed arms budget from NT$610.8 billion (US$19.3 billion) to NT$480 billion last month.
"The ministry has handed a proposed NT$480 billion arms bill budget to the legislature, but if the legislature still wants to cut it down, then cut it down," Minister of National Defense Lee Jye (
He said that if the legislature reduces the bill to around NT$350 billion, the ministry would make the procurement of eight diesel-powered submarines and 12 P-3C sub-hunting aircraft its priorities.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Lee Wen-chung (李文忠) said yesterday that the ministry is considering the possibility of transferring the procurement of 3 PAC-3 missile batteries into next year's annual military budget.
Lee Wen-chung said the KMT and PFP would be likely to agree to an arms budget of about NT$330 billion, and the ministry has worked on the details of the budget with KMT and PFP legislators.
The lawmaker said Lee Jye's arms purchase sequence reflected the fact the ministry regards a submarine blockade by China as the biggest threat to Taiwan, more than a missile attack, because the country relies heavily on international trade and secure sea lanes.
The defense minister also told reporters that while some in Taiwan and US defense circles are concerned that the submarine deal has moved so slowly because the US has not built conventional diesel-powered submarines for more than 40 years, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense Richard Lawless has reassured the ministry that the US has not changed its mind about selling those subs to Taiwan.
He also said the NT$480 billion arms bill was so expensive because the weapons would be combat-ready upon delivery.
"To reduce the arms deal budget, the ministry would have to transfer the cost of planned personal training and ammunition supplies to the conventional annual military budget in coming years," he said.
"When the ministry purchased four Kidd-Class destroyers, it reduced ammunition purchases for budgetary reasons," he said.
The arms purchase budget covers three major items: three PAC-3 missile batteries, 12 P-3C sub-hunting aircraft and the eight diesel-powered submarines.
The ministry has previously said the budget could be cut to NT$480 billion if the eight submarines are built in the US instead of in this country.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not