The coach of the Suwon women’s team on Wednesday said that his team felt “hurt” by a lack of home support after losing to the first North Korean sports team to visit the South in eight years.
South Korea’s Suwon went down 2-1 to North rivals Naegohyang their Asian Women’s Champions League semi-final, which was played at Suwon’s home stadium.
Interest in the rare North-South match was intense, with 7,087 general admission tickets sold out within hours of going on sale last week.
Photo: AP
The official attendance for the game, which was played in torrential rain at the roofless Suwon Sports Complex Stadium, was 5,763. A large group of spectators from civic groups backed by the South Korean Ministry of Unification were in the stadium to support both teams.
Naegohyang’s arrival at South Korea’s Incheon International Airport on Sunday saw players and officials surrounded by throngs of reporters and supporters holding welcome signs.
Suwon coach Park Kil-young said the huge attention surrounding the game had affected his players.
“We are Suwon FC Women of the Republic of Korea,” he said, struggling to control his emotions. “Throughout the match, our players and our staff felt hurt.”
There were no official away supporters at the game because North Koreans are generally not allowed into the South.
Suwon were backed by fans banging drums and chanting for their team.
Park said his team had “never played in front of so many people and so many writers before.”
“We needed to win today to draw more attention to women’s football here, and our players competed so hard with that in mind,” he said. “Hopefully, this match will help people take more interest in our sport and make them come to more matches.”
Naegohyang came from behind to win the game and book their place in Saturday’s final against Japan’s Tokyo Verdy Beleza, which is also to be played in Suwon.
Naegohyang coach Ri Yu-il said the atmosphere in the stadium had contributed to the occasion.
“It was a very intense match and we were too caught up in it to be too conscious of the cheering,” Ri said. “However, I felt that people here have such a high level of interest in football.”
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
West Ham United’s 3-1 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday left Tottenham Hotspur realistically only needing one more point to win the battle for English Premier League survival, while Bruno Fernandes made history in Manchester United’s 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest. Spurs can avoid dropping out of the English top flight for the first time in nearly 50 years with victory at Chelsea today, but a draw would also likely suffice thanks to their much superior goal-difference over West Ham. “Overall bad performance. Too many things [went wrong], I think we gifted them the goals,” West Ham head caoch Nuno Espirito Santo
MLB is experiencing an epidemic of guys being dudes. At ballparks all across the US, groups consisting of mostly young men are joining in on the “Tarps Off” trend that is loud, goofy, infectious and new to the baseball world. Joining in on the fun is simple: Go to the section where the party is happening, take off your shirt and start twirling it above your head. Soccer-like chants or singing usually follow — injecting a jolt of energy for a sport that is occasionally chided for its lack of energy inside the stadium. After getting its start in St Louis, Missouri, on