FIFA received 5 million requests for World Cup 2026 tickets in the first 24 hours of the latest sales phase, soccer’s world governing body said on Friday, despite an outcry from fan groups this week about high prices for the tournament.
Fans from more than 200 countries and territories applied via FIFA.com for seats at the first 48-team World Cup, which is to be staged across the US, Canada and Mexico from June 11 to July 19 next year, FIFA said.
Football Supporters Europe (FSE) on Thursday called on FIFA to immediately halt sales of national team allocations, accusing the governing body of imposing “extortionate” ticket prices that risk shutting ordinary fans out of the tournament.
Photo: AFP
Ticket prices had jumped five-fold from the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, according to FSE.
Early demand is being driven by high-profile group-stage clashes, with Colombia facing Portugal in Miami on June 27 the most sought-after fixture so far in the Random Selection Draw period.
Brazil against Morocco, Mexico against South Korea, Ecuador against Germany and Scotland against Brazil round out the top five matches.
After the three host nations, the top countries of residence for ticket requests were Colombia, England, Ecuador, Brazil, Argentina, Scotland, Germany, Australia, France and Panama.
FIFA said the strong presence of South American and Central American fans showed how the tournament was capturing the imagination across the Americas, while Scotland’s position reflected excitement over their first World Cup in 28 years.
The Random Selection Draw phase runs until Jan. 13, with FIFA stressing that the timing of an application within that window does not affect chances of success.
Fans can choose specific matches, ticket categories and quantities, subject to limits, and would be charged automatically if their applications are successful.
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
West Ham United’s 3-1 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday left Tottenham Hotspur realistically only needing one more point to win the battle for English Premier League survival, while Bruno Fernandes made history in Manchester United’s 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest. Spurs can avoid dropping out of the English top flight for the first time in nearly 50 years with victory at Chelsea today, but a draw would also likely suffice thanks to their much superior goal-difference over West Ham. “Overall bad performance. Too many things [went wrong], I think we gifted them the goals,” West Ham head caoch Nuno Espirito Santo
Jannik Sinner has his eyes on a first Roland Garros title after winning the Italian Open on Sunday to claim a record-extending sixth consecutive Masters 1000 tournament victory. World No. 1 Sinner beat Casper Ruud 6-4, 6-4 to complete the “Golden Masters” by winning all of the ATP’s top-ranked events, in the process becoming the first Italian men’s champion in Rome since Adriano Panatta 50 years ago. Only Novak Djokovic had previously won all nine Masters 1000 events before Sunday, but there was little doubt about Sinner triumphing over the past 10 days. Sinner heads to Roland Garros, which starts at the weekend,