Salford City’s English League Two match against Oldham was briefly disrupted when two men tried to plant a flag of St George inside the center circle at the Peninsula Stadium in Salford, Greater Manchester.
The men entered the field during the first half wearing white hoodies displaying the message “Gary Neville is a traitor” before being removed by stewards and police.
The far-right group Britain First later claimed responsibility for the stunt, saying they had “teamed up with local Salford patriots” to protest against the “treachery of Gary Neville” — in reference to the Salford owner’s decision earlier this month to remove a Union flag from one of his Manchester development sites.
Photo: Reuters
A day after a deadly attack on Oct. 2 at the Heaton Park synagogue in Manchester — when an assailant drove into worshipers outside the synagogue before getting out of his car and stabbing people nearby — Neville posted a video online to say he had removed the flag from his property because it was being “used in a negative fashion,” as he urged his followers to question what it means to be patriotic.
The former England and Manchester United defender turned property developer said he believed that “we’re all being turned on each other,” attributing much of the blame for the divide to “angry, middle-aged white men ... who know exactly what they’re doing.”
“Funnily enough, on one of my development sites last week, there was a Union Jack flag put up and I took it down instantly. Some people might be watching this and thinking: ‘Gary, you’re not really patriotic.’ I’ve played for my country 85 times, I love my country, I love Manchester, and I love England,” he said.
“The Union Jack flag used in a negative fashion is not right, and I’m a proud supporter of England, of Great Britain, of our country and will champion it anywhere in the world as one of the greatest places to live,” he said, “but I think we need to check ourselves, check ourselves and start to think about bringing ourselves back to a neutral point because we’re being pulled right and left and we don’t need to be pulled right and left at all.”
The game resumed after the pitch invasion, and Salford ran out 1-0 winners.
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
West Ham United’s 3-1 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday left Tottenham Hotspur realistically only needing one more point to win the battle for English Premier League survival, while Bruno Fernandes made history in Manchester United’s 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest. Spurs can avoid dropping out of the English top flight for the first time in nearly 50 years with victory at Chelsea today, but a draw would also likely suffice thanks to their much superior goal-difference over West Ham. “Overall bad performance. Too many things [went wrong], I think we gifted them the goals,” West Ham head caoch Nuno Espirito Santo
Jannik Sinner has his eyes on a first Roland Garros title after winning the Italian Open on Sunday to claim a record-extending sixth consecutive Masters 1000 tournament victory. World No. 1 Sinner beat Casper Ruud 6-4, 6-4 to complete the “Golden Masters” by winning all of the ATP’s top-ranked events, in the process becoming the first Italian men’s champion in Rome since Adriano Panatta 50 years ago. Only Novak Djokovic had previously won all nine Masters 1000 events before Sunday, but there was little doubt about Sinner triumphing over the past 10 days. Sinner heads to Roland Garros, which starts at the weekend,