French qualifier Terence Atmane toppled another top-10 player in Holger Rune on Thursday to line up a semi-final showdown with world No. 1 Jannik Sinner at the Cincinnati Open.
Atmane followed up his victory over fourth-ranked Taylor Fritz with a 6-2, 6-3 win over ninth-ranked Rune.
The 23-year-old would now face the ultimate test against defending champion Sinner, who said he “felt great” as he thrashed Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-0, 6-2.
Photo: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
“I don’t think any words can describe how I feel right now,” the 136th-ranked Atmane said after blasting 22 winners past Rune, 14 of them off his powerful lefty forehand.
“It’s pretty insane to be honest,” added Atmane, who would move inside the top 100 in the rankings for the first time.
“I cannot believe it. Being here in the semi-finals of a Masters 1000, breaking into the top 100. It means a lot to me,” he said.
He would face a formidable challenge in Wimbledon champion Sinner, who powered through a rapid-fire opening set and bounced back quickly after dropping serve to open the second.
Sinner prevailed in a brief 71 minutes as he claimed an eighth victory in a row at this event and his 30th match win this season.
“I felt great on the court today, you could see that,” said the Italian, who turns 24 today. “But every day can be different. Let’s see what I can do in the semis.”
Sinner took advantage of Auger-Aliassime’s serving troubles to take the first set in less than 30 minutes, the Canadian delivering three double-faults in the final game.
After going down a quick break in the second, Sinner broke back to level at 2-2 and advanced as Auger-Aliassime coughed up his eighth double-fault on match point.
“I served well today, that was the key for me,” Sinner said. “I had a small drop in the second set and I’m happy that I broke back. He moves and serves well, he’s difficult to play.”
In the day’s only other men’s match, fifth-seeded Ben Shelton — coming off a title in Toronto — posted a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Jiri Lehecka to book a quarter-final clash with third-seeded Alexander Zverev.
French Open champion Coco Gauff, the women’s second seed, booked her quarter-final berth with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Lucia Bronzetti.
“I could have maybe made some more first serves in that second set, but overall I had a lot of aces and unreturnables,” said Gauff, the 2023 Cincinnati champion who went on to win the US Open title that year.
“I’m happy considering where [my serve] was last week,” she said.
The American next takes on seventh seed Jasmine Paolini, who crushed last year’s Wimbledon champion Barbora Krejcikova 6-1, 6-2.
Krejcikova had treatment on her left foot in the second set and her movement was clearly hampered.
“She’s a great player and can do anything she wants with the ball,” said Paolini, a finalist at Roland Garros and Wimbledon last year. “But I don’t think she was at 100 percent today.”
France’s Varvara Gracheva rallied to beat Germany’s Ella Seidel 2-6, 6-1, 6-1 in an error-strewn battle of qualifiers.
“I made her play her best game,” Gracheva said. “She was so hot at the end of the first set that I could barely see a ball.”
“I had to go back to basics, I had so many mistakes. I was doubting myself but I stuck with it,” she added.
She was last night after press time to face Veronika Kudermetova, a 6-4, 6-3 winner over Poland’s Magda Linette.
Fred Kerley is competing unaugmented against drug-fuelled athletes at this weekend’s Enhanced Games and still hopes to race in the 2028 Olympics, the suspended former 100m world champion said on Friday. Arguably the biggest name at the divisive event in Las Vegas, where doping is permitted, the US sprinter said he had chosen not to take any of the banned substances including testosterone and steroids that his competitors have been using. “I don’t need it. God gave me fast feet for a reason. And I’m here to showcase my talent,” Kerley said. Kerley last September became the first US competitor and first track
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
MLB is experiencing an epidemic of guys being dudes. At ballparks all across the US, groups consisting of mostly young men are joining in on the “Tarps Off” trend that is loud, goofy, infectious and new to the baseball world. Joining in on the fun is simple: Go to the section where the party is happening, take off your shirt and start twirling it above your head. Soccer-like chants or singing usually follow — injecting a jolt of energy for a sport that is occasionally chided for its lack of energy inside the stadium. After getting its start in St Louis, Missouri, on