Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo was in tears as he led his country to their second UEFA Nations League title by beating holders Spain 5-3 on penalties following a thrilling 2-2 draw after extra time in Sunday’s showpiece match.
Ronaldo’s 138th international goal took the final to a shootout, with Alvaro Morata’s miss proving costly for Spain as Ruben Neves struck the winning spot kick to spark wild scenes of celebration, emotion overwhelming the veteran captain.
“Winning for Portugal is always special,” Ronaldo told Sport TV. “I have many titles with clubs, but nothing is better than winning for Portugal.”
Photo: AP
“It’s tears. It’s duty done and a lot of joy,” he said.
Spain’s exhilarating 5-4 victory over France in Thursday’s semi-final ensured Luis de la Fuente’s side had continued an unbeaten run that stretched back to March 2023 coming into Sunday’s showpiece final in Munich, Germany.
They appeared on course for yet another trophy, on the back last year’s EURO triumph, as Martin Zubimendi tapped home his second international goal in the 21st minute.
However, the holders’ lead did not last long as flying Portugal full-back Nuno Mendes slotted home the equalizer after good work from Ronaldo in the buildup.
A sublime pass from midfielder Pedri helped Mikel Oyarzabal, who netted the winner against England in the EURO 2024 final, restore Spain’s lead before the break.
The tussle between the Iberian neighbors was billed as a clash between old and new — 40-year-old and five-times Ballon d’Or winner Ronaldo and Spain’s teenage sensation Lamine Yamal.
While Yamal, among the favorites to take home one of the most prestigious individual awards this year, struggled to make inroads, Ronaldo pounced on his chance, firing Portugal level from close range just past the hour mark.
Ronaldo went off injured late on and neither side could find a winner in extra time, with the game going to a shootout and Portugal netting all five of their penalties to claim the trophy.
“Details do make the difference, and that was a game which I think was super balanced, but when we were coming to the end of the extra time, I thought we were doing enough to avoid going to penalties,” Spain coach De La Fuente said. “Sadly, that’s what decided the match, and they, on the night, were just slightly better and more effective in the shootout.”
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Mathys Tel was hero and villain as Tottenham drew 1-1 at home to Leeds United on Monday — a result that leaves their English Premier League future hanging in the balance. The Frenchman broke the deadlock early in the second half to ease the tension at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, but then gave away a penalty with a reckless attempted clearance. In the dying minutes, Spurs were grateful to Antonin Kinsky, who produced an astonishing save to deny the visitors a win. Tottenham are now two points clear of 18th-placed West Ham United with just two games left this season. The
Houston Astros right-hander Teng Kai-wei, the only active Taiwanese pitcher in MLB, on Sunday suffered his third loss of the season, throwing a season-high 63 pitches in his second start of the year. Teng allowed three earned runs over three innings on five hits in the Astros’ 5-0 road loss to the Cincinnati Reds. He struck out one, walked one, and hit one batter among the 15 hitters he faced, raising his earned run average to 3.12. It was the Astros’ second attempt to use the 27-year-old Taiwanese as a starter, after he had established himself as a reliable bullpen
‘DONE IT ALL’: LeBron James is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season as a free agent with uncertainty swirling around his future LeBron James on Monday said he would take time to consider his future after the Los Angeles Lakers were swept out of the NBA playoffs by the Oklahoma City Thunder in what could turn out to be the final game of his career. James, 41, delivered a typically defiant performance with 24 points and 12 rebounds, but it was not enough to prevent the Lakers from falling 115-110 as the Thunder completed a 4-0 sweep in the Western Conference semi-finals series. The four-time NBA champion is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season