Brighton & Hove Albion’s in-form Kaoru Mitoma yesterday returned to the Japan squad as Hajime Moriyasu’s side eye an eighth straight appearance at the FIFA World Cup.
Japan face China at home on Thursday next week and Bahrain away five days later to start the decisive third round of Asian qualifying for the 2026 World Cup.
The 27-year-old winger Mitoma has not featured for Japan since the AFC Asian Cup in Qatar in January, when injury restricted him to two substitute appearances.
Photo: Reuters
He was ruled out for the rest of last season after he returned to Brighton, but he has started the new Premier League campaign in good form with one goal and one assist in his side’s perfect start.
Japan coach Moriyasu wants his team to make a fast start to the third qualifying round.
“They will be tough games, but we have to go into them with a winning mindset and prepare well for each one,” he said. “We want to maximize our potential and give everything in these games.”
Japan have also been drawn with Australia, Saudi Arabia and Indonesia in a tough Group C.
The top two teams qualify automatically for the finals, with the third and fourth-placed sides going into a further round of qualifying.
Mitoma is joined in the squad by three other Premier League players in Liverpool’s Wataru Endo, Crystal Palace’s Daichi Kamada and Southampton’s Yukinari Sugawara.
There was also a recall for Stade de Reims winger Junya Ito, who has not featured since he left the Asian Cup squad after a Japanese magazine published allegations that he sexually assaulted two women in a hotel in Osaka last year.
Japanese prosecutors dropped charges against the player earlier this month and he has denied any wrongdoing.
Moriyasu had previously said he had not subsequently called up Ito to “protect” him.
The coach said the time was right to bring him back into the fold.
“The player and the team have to be able to work in an environment where they can focus on their football and up until now I doubted that would be the case,” he said.
Former captain Makoto Hasebe was invited to join the squad as a coach for the games against China and Bahrain.
Hasebe retired from playing aged 40 at the end of last season and is working as a coach with German side Eintracht Frankfurt’s under-21 team.
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
West Ham United’s 3-1 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday left Tottenham Hotspur realistically only needing one more point to win the battle for English Premier League survival, while Bruno Fernandes made history in Manchester United’s 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest. Spurs can avoid dropping out of the English top flight for the first time in nearly 50 years with victory at Chelsea today, but a draw would also likely suffice thanks to their much superior goal-difference over West Ham. “Overall bad performance. Too many things [went wrong], I think we gifted them the goals,” West Ham head caoch Nuno Espirito Santo
Jannik Sinner has his eyes on a first Roland Garros title after winning the Italian Open on Sunday to claim a record-extending sixth consecutive Masters 1000 tournament victory. World No. 1 Sinner beat Casper Ruud 6-4, 6-4 to complete the “Golden Masters” by winning all of the ATP’s top-ranked events, in the process becoming the first Italian men’s champion in Rome since Adriano Panatta 50 years ago. Only Novak Djokovic had previously won all nine Masters 1000 events before Sunday, but there was little doubt about Sinner triumphing over the past 10 days. Sinner heads to Roland Garros, which starts at the weekend,