Doctors trying to save the life of soccer player Salvador Cabanas say they have been able to control swelling around the brain area as the Paraguayan tries to recover from being shot in the head at close range in a Mexico City bar.
Dr Enrique Martinez told reporters late on Wednesday that Cabanas’ condition had stabilized, an improvement over his condition earlier in the day when the swelling increased around the brain after doctors tried to reduce his sedation level.
Cabanas, who was shot just before dawn on Monday, plays for Mexican club America and was the top scorer in World Cup qualifying for the Paraguayan national team, which will play in the tournamebt finals in June in South Africa.
Mexico City Attorney General Miguel Angel Mancera identified a main suspect on Tuesday — Jose J. Balderas Garza — from surveillance videos. Police have not reported detaining him.
“Salvador’s situation has remained stable, the swelling has been controlled within a normal range and we have not had any unsatisfactory change,” Martinez said. “On the contrary, the stability gives us some peace of mind and keeping the swelling down assures us he is getting good circulation in the brain area.”
Martinez also dismissed reports that Cabanas might be moved to Paraguay.
“He’s not going anywhere,” Martinez said. “This has never been considered. He has all he needs here and it would be risky to try to move him.”
Martinez said Cabanas responded favorably to the voices of his mother and wife when the sedation level was lowered on Tuesday. But he said the reduced sedation caused the brain swelling early on Wednesday.
“There is no complication,” Martinez said. “But he remains critical. He is definitely not worse than before, but the risk continues.”
Cabanas, 29, was shot at point-blank range on Monday just before dawn in the bathroom of a bar in a well-off Mexico City neighborhood.
Police said the shooting may have been linked to a dispute that Cabanas’ brother-in-law was having with a Cuban woman and the suspect, Balderas Garza. Cabanas was at the bar with his wife and brother-in-law.
Hours after the shooting on Monday, surgeons attempted to remove a bullet lodged in Cabanas’ skull but decided the operation was too risky.
Cabanas has played in Mexico since 2003 and has scored 125 goals in 218 matches. He also has scored 10 for the Paraguay national team and was expected to lead the team when the World Cup opens in South Africa.
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Mathys Tel was hero and villain as Tottenham drew 1-1 at home to Leeds United on Monday — a result that leaves their English Premier League future hanging in the balance. The Frenchman broke the deadlock early in the second half to ease the tension at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, but then gave away a penalty with a reckless attempted clearance. In the dying minutes, Spurs were grateful to Antonin Kinsky, who produced an astonishing save to deny the visitors a win. Tottenham are now two points clear of 18th-placed West Ham United with just two games left this season. The
Houston Astros right-hander Teng Kai-wei, the only active Taiwanese pitcher in MLB, on Sunday suffered his third loss of the season, throwing a season-high 63 pitches in his second start of the year. Teng allowed three earned runs over three innings on five hits in the Astros’ 5-0 road loss to the Cincinnati Reds. He struck out one, walked one, and hit one batter among the 15 hitters he faced, raising his earned run average to 3.12. It was the Astros’ second attempt to use the 27-year-old Taiwanese as a starter, after he had established himself as a reliable bullpen
‘DONE IT ALL’: LeBron James is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season as a free agent with uncertainty swirling around his future LeBron James on Monday said he would take time to consider his future after the Los Angeles Lakers were swept out of the NBA playoffs by the Oklahoma City Thunder in what could turn out to be the final game of his career. James, 41, delivered a typically defiant performance with 24 points and 12 rebounds, but it was not enough to prevent the Lakers from falling 115-110 as the Thunder completed a 4-0 sweep in the Western Conference semi-finals series. The four-time NBA champion is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season