Foreign-born athletes and some other professionals will soon have their applications for Australian citizenship fast-tracked under draft laws agreed to by the Senate yesterday.
The federal government wants to reduce the residency requirements for applicants who “engage in activities that are of benefit to Australia.” Currently, a person has to be in Australia for four years before they can apply for citizenship.
During that time they can only be away from the country for a maximum of 12 months. Under the changes, people such as elite athletes who want to compete in international sporting events will only have to call Australia home for two years before making an application.
They will be required to live in Australia for only six months during that two-year period, making it easier for tennis players and athletes who travel frequently for competition to qualify.
Last month, Russian-born speedskater Tatiana Borodulina became the first athlete to take advantage of the proposed changes when the Australian Olympic Committee said she would be able to compete for Australia at the Winter Olympics at Vancouver in February.
Borodulina moved to Australia in 2006 hoping to represent Australia at the Olympics, but missed the cutoff point for becoming an Australian citizen by 18 days when the government of former Australian prime minister John Howard tightened the rules in 2007 and extended the residency period from two to four years.
Professional workers with frequent overseas travel commitments, such as pilots and offshore oil-rig workers, will also be given special treatment under the changes.
Australian Immigration Minister Chris Evans has said existing rules excluded “a cohort” of permanent residents who were 100 percent committed to Australia.
“Elite athletes, tennis players and [some] professionals ... often don’t meet the residency requirements,” he told parliament during debate on the bill.
“They were required to travel extensively outside Australia as part of their employment. We don’t believe that the general residency requirement applied to this group is fair and it is an artificial barrier that ought to be fixed,” Evans said.
Taiwan’s top male badminton player, Chou Tien-chen, on Saturday bowed out in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Thailand Open after losing in straight games to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn. The world No. 6 Chou, seeded fourth at the Super 500 tournament, lost to the world No. 2 Thai 21-7, 21-19 in 53 minutes. The victory improved Vitidsarn’s head-to-head record against Chou to 3-5. Chou, 36, trailed throughout the opening game after the score was tied 2-2. His relatively passive approach allowed the 25-year-old Thai to capitalize on Chou’s defensive clears with powerful smashes while committing few unforced errors. The Taiwanese
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French
West Ham United’s 3-1 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday left Tottenham Hotspur realistically only needing one more point to win the battle for English Premier League survival, while Bruno Fernandes made history in Manchester United’s 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest. Spurs can avoid dropping out of the English top flight for the first time in nearly 50 years with victory at Chelsea today, but a draw would also likely suffice thanks to their much superior goal-difference over West Ham. “Overall bad performance. Too many things [went wrong], I think we gifted them the goals,” West Ham head caoch Nuno Espirito Santo
MLB is experiencing an epidemic of guys being dudes. At ballparks all across the US, groups consisting of mostly young men are joining in on the “Tarps Off” trend that is loud, goofy, infectious and new to the baseball world. Joining in on the fun is simple: Go to the section where the party is happening, take off your shirt and start twirling it above your head. Soccer-like chants or singing usually follow — injecting a jolt of energy for a sport that is occasionally chided for its lack of energy inside the stadium. After getting its start in St Louis, Missouri, on