President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) yesterday inspected the two eastern counties of Taitung and Hualien, both of which were hit hard by Typhoon Bilis last week.
Chen first inspected Taitung County's Tungho village, which is known for its fruit production.
Looking at so much fruit on the ground, Chen said somberly: "It's a heart-rending sight."
PHOTO: HUANG MING-TANG, LIBERTY TIMES
"I will ask relevant agricultural administration agencies to hand out disaster relief money to all farmers within a month to compensate them for their typhoon losses."
Noting that Taiwan was often hit by earthquakes and typhoons, Chen said local residents should not be daunted by such natural disasters and should adopt comprehensive precautions to minimize the possible damage.
Chen said reconstruction work should focus on basic living needs, such as restoring power and water.
Typhoon Bilis, the strongest storm to hit Asia so far this year, ripped through Taiwan on Tuesday night, leaving at least 11 people dead, several others missing and many private homes and public facilities destroyed or damaged.
adding up the losses
Initial tallies showed that agricultural losses in Taitung County alone were estimated at NT$1.2 billion (US$38.71 million).
Accompanied by Taitung County Commissioner Chen Chien-nien (
The Paishoulien breakwater, which was built decades ago to protect the coast from ocean waves, was damaged by strong winds. Chen ordered relevant government agencies to complete repair and rehabilitation work as soon as possible to ensure the safety of residents in the coastal region.
The president also inspected damaged roads, railway lines, farms, electricity and water supply facilities and collapsed houses in neighboring Hualien County.
Hualien County Commissioner Wang Ching-feng (
After listening to Wang's briefing, Chen directed Minister of Economic Affairs Lin Hsin-yi (林信義) and Council of Agriculture Chairman Chen Hsi-huang (陳希煌) to offer typhoon-affected regions all necessary assistance and subsidies.
Chen later toured a railway repair project in neighboring Kuangfu village (
Chen said government agencies would work hard to complete typhoon-related recovery work within a month.
Chen also expressed his sorrow for failing to be with his fellow countrymen when the typhoon hit the nation.
foreign tour cut short
When Bilis hit the island, Chen was on a state visit in the African country of Burkina Faso. After hearing details of the damage, Chen decided to cut short a visit to Chad, citing concerns that he was needed at home, and returned to Taiwan .
Chen praised government agencies for all of their preparations and efforts to minimize damage.
"Thanks to appropriate precautionary measures, we have managed to largely minimize typhoon-related damage," he said.
The president also expressed his gratitude for military servicemen, police and fire-fighting officers for their contribution to emergency rescue and relief operations.
Shortly after arriving on Friday, Chen boarded another jet and flew to the central county of Nantou where a mudslide killed eight people during the storm.
Chen made three phone calls to Premier Tang Fei (
Chen also called Vice President Annette Lu (
Chen expressed his frustration over being criticized for "putting on a show" by ending his foreign tour one day earlier than originally scheduled and then returning to Taiwan to tour disaster areas immediately.
"It's really hard to be the president," Chen said.
"I fought for Taiwan's diplomacy in the international community and even ended my visit earlier to be with my people," Chen said. "However, I saw that the newspapers criticized my action as `nothing but showing off,' and at each place I went to inspect there was somebody or other complaining about me."
The president said he did not take a single day's rest during the 13-day foreign visit and domestic tour of typhoon-damaged areas.
"I know that people have high demands of me," Chen said, "but I have to beg people to understand that I cannot please all the people all of the time."
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue