The WHO yesterday opened a meeting of global health ministers amid concern over deadly hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks and uncertainty over announced US and Argentine withdrawals.
While the rare hantavirus outbreak on a cruise ship that has gripped global attention is not officially on the agenda, it is expected to feature prominently in discussions, alongside the latest Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The two outbreaks “are just the latest crises in our troubled world,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told the opening of the UN agency’s annual decisionmaking World Health Assembly.
Photo: Reuters
“From conflicts to economic crises to climate change and aid cuts, we live in difficult, dangerous and divisive times,” he said.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the global health challenges “have rarely felt more daunting.”
“Over the past year, cuts to bilateral and multilateral aid have disrupted health systems and widened inequalities,” Guterres said in a video address.
The meeting, which runs through Saturday, comes after a difficult year for an organization weakened by the announced US withdrawal and funding cuts.
“The WHO’s budget has been reduced by around 21 percent, or nearly 1 billion [US] dollars. Hundreds of jobs have been eliminated, programs have been reduced,” Swiss Minister of Public Health Elisabeth Baume-Schneider said in her address.
“The WHO had to, and was able to, undergo profound reform in the midst of the emergency,” she said.
Surie Moon, codirector of the Global Health Centre at the Geneva Graduate Institute, also suggested the WHO had weathered the storm, saying that while “the situation is “still fragile ... they’ve been successful in mobilizing most of the funds” required for the next two years.
And the hantavirus crisis provided “a clear illustration of why the world needs an effective, trusted, impartial, reliably funded WHO,” she added.
However,, significant divisions persist. Disagreement between wealthy and developing nations has blocked closure on the WHO’s landmark 2025 pandemic treaty, with negotiations now expected to be extended for another year.
It also remains unclear what, if anything, would be decided on the withdrawal of the US and Argentina. US President Donald Trump handed in a one-year notice to withdraw from WHO on his first day back in office in January last year. Argentina soon followed suit.
The WHO, whose constitution does not include a withdrawal clause, has not confirmed either withdrawal. The US reserved the right to withdraw when it joined the WHO in 1948 — on condition of giving one year’s notice and meeting its financial obligations in full for that fiscal year.
While the notice period has expired, Washington has still not paid its dues for 2024 and last year, owing about US$260 million.
When WHO’s executive board met in January, Israel submitted a resolution to approve Argentina’s withdrawal — something countries are expected to discuss during the assembly — but not a word was said about the US.
Diplomats and observers indicated there was broad agreement that it would be better to maintain a gray zone around the US status.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday inaugurated the Danjiang Bridge across the Tamsui River in New Taipei City, saying that the structure would be an architectural icon and traffic artery for Taiwan. Feted as a major engineering achievement, the Danjiang Bridge is 920m long, 211m tall at the top of its pylon, and is the longest single-pylon asymmetric cable-stayed bridge in the world, the government’s Web site for the structure said. It was designed by late Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid. The structure, with a maximum deck of 70m, accommodates road and light rail traffic, and affords a 200m navigation channel for boats,
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House