Hungary would block the EU’s next package of sanctions against Russia, the Hungarian minister of foreign affairs said yesterday, the latest step aimed at pushing Ukraine to resume the flow of Russian oil through a pipeline supplying Hungarian refineries.
Shipments of Russian oil to Hungary and Slovakia via the Druzhba pipeline have been cut off since Jan. 27, when Kyiv said a Russian drone strike hit pipeline equipment in Western Ukraine.
Slovakia and Hungary said Ukraine is to blame for the prolonged outage.
Photo: AP
The EU is preparing its 20th sanctions package against Russia over the war in Ukraine. While negotiations are ongoing, many member countries would like to agree the package in time for the fourth anniversary of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, which is tomorrow.
“At tomorrow’s Foreign Affairs Council, the EU aims to adopt the 20th sanctions package. Hungary will block it,” Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Peter Szijjarto wrote on social media.
“Until Ukraine resumes oil transit to Hungary and Slovakia via the Druzhba pipeline, we will not allow decisions important to Kyiv to move forward,” Szijjarto said.
The issue has caused one of the angriest disputes yet between Ukraine and neighboring Hungary and Slovakia. Both countries are EU and NATO members, but their leaders have bucked the largely pro-Ukrainian consensus in Europe to cultivate warm ties with Moscow.
On Friday, Szijjarto said Hungary would block a 90 billion euro (US$106.1 billion) EU loan for Ukraine to fund its defense against Russia until the Druzhba shipments resumed.
The EU needs to amend its budget law to unlock the loan — a step requiring unanimous backing.
Hungary and Slovakia have also threatened to stop electricity supplies to Ukraine over the issue.
The Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Saturday condemned what it described as “ultimatums and blackmail” by the Hungarian and Slovak governments.
OPTIMISTIC: The DGBAS sharply upgraded its GDP growth estimate from 3.54 percent to 7.71 percent after the Taiwan-US trade agreement signing and given AI optimism The US imported more from Taiwan than China for the first time in decades, as US President Donald Trump’s tariffs reshape trade flows while a global boom in artificial intelligence (AI) fuels demand for tech products. US purchases of goods from China plunged almost 44 percent in December last year from 2024 to US$21.1 billion, US Department of Commerce data showed on Thursday. By contrast, shipments from Taiwan more than doubled during the same period to US$24.7 billion. The soaring Taiwanese shipments to the US reflect the huge expansion in supplies of chips and servers for AI companies, which has completely changed
NON-NEGOTIABLE: The US president’s action ran counter to one of the US’ ‘six assurances’ on not consulting China about arms sales to Taiwan, US lawmakers said US President Donald Trump’s admission that he is discussing arms sales to Taiwan with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) is “alarming and a blatant violation of US policy and the six assurances,” US Representative Ro Khanna said on Tuesday. Trump on Monday said he would decide soon on whether to send more weapons to Taiwan, after Xi warned him not to do so. “I’m talking to him about it. We had a good conversation, and we’ll make a determination pretty soon,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One when asked about warnings raised by Beijing during a phone call with Xi over
US and Chinese fighter jets briefly faced off above waters near the Korean Peninsula this week, Yonhap News agency reported, marking a rare confrontation in that area between the two superpowers. About 10 US fighter jets on Wednesday departed an airbase in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, for drills above international waters off South Korea’s western coast, the news outlet cited unidentified military sources as saying. While the US planes did not enter China’s air defense identification zone, Beijing scrambled planes as they neared that region, the report said. “The Chinese People’s Liberation Army organized naval and air forces to monitor and effectively respond
VACILLATING? Some US officials are concerned that Trump’s April visit to Beijing might be affected if Washington pushes through additional weapons sales to Taiwan A major US arms sales package for Taiwan is in limbo following pressure from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) and concerns among some US officials that greenlighting the deal would derail US President Donald Trump’s upcoming visit to Bejing, the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported on Wednesday. Trump on Monday said that he would decide soon on whether to send more weapons to Taiwan, after Xi warned him not to do so. “I’m talking to him about it. We had a good conversation, and we’ll make a determination pretty soon,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One when asked about warnings raised