President William Lai (賴清德) yesterday said he is willing to report on government policies and the special national defense budget at the Legislative Yuan, if there is a consensus among the governing and opposition party caucuses and if it is in compliance with constitutional procedure.
Lai on Wednesday announced a bill for an additional eight-year NT$1.25 trillion (US$39.9 billion) national defense budget.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus deputy secretary-general Lin Pei-hsiang (林沛祥) on Friday said the legislature should invite Lai to present his policies to lawmakers.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
According to the Act Governing the Legislative Yuan’s Power (立法院職權行使法), the president can report major national policies to the Legislative Yuan if the proposal is endorsed by more than one-quarter of all legislators at the legislature’s plenary session and scheduled by the Procedure Committee; or the president can request to report to the Legislative Yuan with its approval.
In response to media queries, Lai yesterday said that if having him report at the legislature is a consensus among the governing and opposition party caucuses, and if it complies with constitutional procedure, then he is willing to report his government policies and the special defense budget to the public, and obtain the legislature’s support.
The Presidential Office on Friday also said it is willing to make efforts on any approach that can strengthen national defense, promote national solidarity, and facilitate dialogue between the ruling and opposition parties to ensure the people are safe from threats, especially in a time when neighboring countries are showing cross-party unity and commitment to boosting self-defense resilience.
Democratic Progressive Party caucus secretary-general Chen Pei-yu (陳培瑜) yesterday said that if the opposition parties sincerely invite the president to discuss the special defense budget, allowing the government to explain what it means for Taiwan to the Legislative Yuan, then her caucus would be glad to see it happen.
However, the Legislative Yuan must comply with the constitutional procedure, she said, adding that there is room for discussion and dialogue if the opposition is willing to support the budget.
Taiwan People’s Party Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday said he holds “no expectation at all” if Lai’s report to the legislature is only one-sided political propaganda without taking questions from lawmakers, adding that Lai had promised to do so during last year’s presidential election.
Additional reporting by Lee Wen-hsin
IN THE NATIONAL INTEREST: Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Francois Wu said the strengthening of military facilities would help to maintain security in the Taiwan Strait Japanese Minister of Defense Shinjiro Koizumi, visiting a military base close to Taiwan, said plans to deploy missiles to the post would move forward as tensions smolder between Tokyo and Beijing. “The deployment can help lower the chance of an armed attack on our country,” Koizumi told reporters on Sunday as he wrapped up his first trip to the base on the southern Japanese island of Yonaguni. “The view that it will heighten regional tensions is not accurate.” Former Japanese minister of defense Gen Nakatani in January said that Tokyo wanted to base Type 03 Chu-SAM missiles on Yonaguni, but little progress
DETERMINATION: Beijing’s actions toward Tokyo have drawn international attention, but would likely bolster regional coordination and defense networks, the report said Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi’s administration is likely to prioritize security reforms and deterrence in the face of recent “hybrid” threats from China, the National Security Bureau (NSB) said. The bureau made the assessment in a written report to the Legislative Yuan ahead of an oral report and questions-and-answers session at the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee tomorrow. The key points of Japan’s security reforms would be to reinforce security cooperation with the US, including enhancing defense deployment in the first island chain, pushing forward the integrated command and operations of the Japan Self-Defense Forces and US Forces Japan, as
‘BEST RESULT’: Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Francois Wu said that Donald Trump’s silence on the issue signaled that Taiwan was not being treated as a bargaining chip “Reunification” with China is “not an option” for Taiwan, Premier Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) said yesterday, after Chinese state media reported that the issue was brought up in a telephone call between Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) and US President Donald Trump. “We have noted this significant international exchange, but we must reiterate that the Republic of China (Taiwan) is a fully sovereign and independent country,” Cho said at the legislature when reporters asked him about the issue. “The 23 million people of Taiwan do not have a ‘reunification’ option. This is very clear. Taiwan is the world’s Taiwan,” Cho said. Trump and Xi
NO CHANGES: A Japanese spokesperson said that Tokyo remains consistent and open for dialogue, while Beijing has canceled diplomatic engagements A Japanese official blasted China’s claims that Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi has altered Japan’s position on a Taiwan crisis as “entirely baseless,” calling for more dialogue to stop ties between Asia’s top economies from spiraling. China vowed to take resolute self-defense against Japan if it “dared to intervene militarily in the Taiwan Strait” in a letter delivered Friday to the UN. “I’m aware of this letter,” said Maki Kobayashi, a senior Japanese government spokeswoman. “The claim our country has altered its position is entirely baseless,” she said on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Johannesburg on Saturday. The Chinese Ministry