German Chancellor Olaf Scholz yesterday visited the site of a deadly car-ramming attack on a crowded Christmas market that shocked the nation to pay tribute to the victims.
Police arrested a 50-year-old Saudi doctor of psychiatry at the scene where two people were killed and 68 injured when an SUV ploughed through the festive crowd on Friday night.
A somber Scholz, dressed in black, was joined by national and regional politicians and a security detail in the eastern city of Magdeburg, where they laid flowers outside the main church.
Photo: AFP
Mourning and bereaved people had already left candles, flowers and children’s toys at the St. John’s church, where a memorial service was planned for 7:00pm.
As Germany was reeling from the shocking attack, which came eight years after a Muslim militant strike on a Berlin Christmas market claimed 13 lives, more details emerged about the Saudi man under arrest. Named by German media as Taleb A., he was a doctor who had lived in Germany since 2006 and held a permanent residence permit, working in a clinic near Magdeburg.
He had long also worked as a rights activist who supported Saudi women and described himself as a “Saudi atheist.” The man voiced strongly anti-Islam views, echoing the rhetoric of the far-right, his social media posts and past interviews showed.
As his views expressed online grew more radical, he accused Germany’s past governments of a plan to “Islamize Europe” and voiced fears he was being targeted by authorities.
The Bild daily reported that an initial drug test had proved positive, after police officers on Friday used a so-called test that can detect narcotics ranging from cannabis to cocaine and methamphetamines.
Surveillance video of the attack showed a black BMW driving at high speed straight through a dense crowd, running over or scattering bodies amid the festive stalls selling snacks, handicrafts and traditional mulled wine.
Police said the vehicle drove “at least 400m across the Christmas market,” leaving behind destruction, debris and broken glass on the city’s central town hall square.
The attack came eight years after Tunisian man drove a truck through a Berlin Christmas market, killing 13 people in Germany’s deadliest radical Muslim attack.
“I don’t know what world we’re living in, where someone would use such a peaceful event to spread terror.” One woman told Die Welt daily.
The sorrow and anger sparked by the latest attack, in which a child was killed, seemed set to inflame a heated debate on immigration and security as Germany heads for Feb. 23 elections.
“When will this madness stop?” Alice Weidel, leader of far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD), which has focused on Muslim attacks in its campaign against immigrants, wrote on X.
“What happened today affects a lot of people. It affects us a lot,” Fael Kelion, a 27-year-old Cameroonian living in the city, said.
“I think that since [the suspect] is a foreigner, the population will be unhappy, less welcoming,” he said.
Michael Raarig, 67, an engineer, expressed his sorrow at the site, saying that “I am sad, I am shocked. I never would have believed this could happen, here in an east German provincial town.”
He added that he believed the attack “will play into the hands of the AfD” which has had its strongest support in the formerly communist eastern Germany.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue