The US encourages “all countries to expand engagement with Taiwan,” a US Department of State official said on Saturday, after Palau’s president said that the Micronesian nation has faced economic coercion from China over its ties to Taiwan.
“Taiwan is a reliable, like-minded and democratic partner, and its partnerships — official and unofficial — around the world provide significant and sustainable benefits to the citizens of those countries,” a State Department spokesperson said. “We encourage all countries to expand engagement with Taiwan.”
Earlier this month, Washington condemned Beijing’s “predatory economic activities.”
Photo: CNA
Palauan President Surangel Whipps Jr on Aug. 14 said that “China has openly told us [Palau’s relationship with Taiwan] is illegal and we should not recognize Taiwan.”
Whipps cited reduced visitor numbers from the People’s Republic of China (PRC) as evidence of economic coercion aimed at encouraging Palau to sever its formal diplomatic ties with Taiwan.
He separately told The Associated Press in an interview that the Chinese ambassador stationed in a neighboring country had in 2020 promised to send 1 million Chinese visitors to Palau if the tourism-dependent country severed relations with Taiwan and established ties with China.
Despite this “weaponization” of tourism, the Palauan president reaffirmed his country’s commitment to Taiwan, saying “our relationship with Taiwan should not be questioned by anyone.”
In response to Whipps’ comments, the US Department of State on Aug. 16 said that Washington is “aware of reported previous attempts to economically pressure Palau, likely due to its diplomatic ties with Taiwan.”
“These reports align with a range of alleged increasingly problematic behavior from the PRC, including predatory economic activities,” the State Department’s press office said.
Since establishing formal relations with Taiwan in 1999, Palau — a small nation in Micronesia with a population of fewer than 20,000 — has resisted China’s diplomatic overtures.
In other news, a senior White House official on Friday said that the US would raise concerns about China’s “destabilizing” military, diplomatic and economic pressure on Taiwan when US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan meets China’s foreign minister in Beijing next week.
Sullivan would travel to Beijing for meetings with Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) from tomorrow to Thursday, the White House said.
“I expect in these conversations next week we’re going to raise concerns about the PRC’s increased military, diplomatic and economic pressure against Taiwan,” the official said in a news briefing phone call early on Friday morning.
“These activities are destabilizing and risk escalation,” the official said, without elaborating. “And we’re going to continue to urge Beijing to engage in meaningful dialogue with Taipei.”
Reiterating the commitment of US President Joe Biden’s administration to the US’ “one China” policy — in which Washington recognizes the PRC as the sole legal government of China, but only acknowledges Beijing’s claim that Taiwan is a part of China — the official said the US “oppose[s] unilateral changes to the status quo from either side.”
“We expect cross-strait differences to be resolved peacefully,” the official added.
“Everything that we have seen come out of Taipei indicates that the current leadership remains committed to maintaining status quo and peace and stability,” the official said, referring to President William Lai’s (賴清德) calls for dialogue with Beijing since assuming office in May.
The official added that “the economic impact of instability in the region would be overwhelming” and there is a “global stake in continued peace and stability and status quo.”
Separately, Chinese state media yesterday said that Beijing plans to voice “serious concerns” on Taiwan and other security issues in the upcoming talks with the US.
Additional reporting by AFP
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue