A claim by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) vice presidential candidate Jaw Shaw-kong (趙少康) that pop superstar Taylor Swift turned down an offer to perform in Taiwan due to “geopolitical risks” did not reflect reality, the Ministry of Culture said on Monday.
During a televised debate between Taiwan’s vice presidential candidates on Monday, Jaw used the claim to criticize the Democratic Progressive Party’s cross-strait policy and argue that it was increasing tensions in the region.
He said that in his capacity as chairman of the Broadcasting Corp of China (中廣), he extended an offer to Swift to hold a concert at the Taipei Dome after the stadium opened in November last year.
Photo: AP
Jaw said the singer initially agreed, but later declined, citing geopolitical risks.
The claim has not been independently confirmed or debunked, and the ministry did not weigh in on the specifics of the claim in a statement issued later on Monday after the debate.
Instead, it disputed Jaw’s statement based on the many major performers that have held concerts in Kaohsiung since COVID-19 pandemic restrictions ended and the acts planning to come to Taiwan this year.
“These all serve as the best proof to show that what the KMT vice presidential candidate said was not true,” the statement said, without providing any other comment on the Swift claim.
Among the acts that have performed in Taiwan in the past year are British band Coldplay, K-pop group Blackpink and the Backstreet Boys, the ministry said.
In addition, K-pop group Super Junior and British singer Ed Sheeran have announced the dates for their tours this year, which included concerts in Kaohsiung, it said.
In addition to pop artists, many well-known orchestras such as the New York Philharmonic, the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra and the Vienna Philharmonic have also performed in Kaohsiung, it added.
The ministry said that it hoped candidates nominated by the KMT would support efforts to organize concerts featuring international artists.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue