President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) is expected to call a high-level national security meeting on Tuesday during which she would order the expansion of conscription from four months to one year, a source familiar with the matter said.
On Dec. 7, Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) told lawmakers that a decision on the length of military service would be announced before the end of the year.
With one week left before New Year’s Eve, the only option remaining for the Tsai administration to prolong conscription is through an executive order — an avenue that the government is willing to take, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Photo: Tyrone Siu, REUTERS
Assuming the order is promulgated on Saturday, the implementation of the policy would begin no earlier than Jan. 1 and affect conscripts born in 2006, they said.
Military-aged men performing alternative civil service would also have their service terms extended to a year, up from six months, the source said.
The salary for military conscripts is to be increased to NT$15,000 per month, they added.
Leading Democratic Progressive Party lawmakers in the party’s caucus and the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee have been briefed on these developments by the Presidential Office and the Ministry of National Defense, the source said.
Tsai is expected to personally announce the change and leave it to the Executive Yuan to finalize the policies, while the Legislative Yuan would receive a notification as soon as Friday, they said.
As the legislature is extending its current session to Jan. 13, there should be enough time for lawmakers to take receipt of the executive order, the source said.
A decline in population and the rising threat posed by China means Taiwan must fall back on conscription to have the necessary number of troops to defend itself, the Central News Agency cited an internal report by the ministry as saying.
Although a professional military comprised of five-year volunteers would be the most efficient force, such goals could be unobtainable due to the nation’s changing demographics and China’s increasingly formidable amphibious capabilities, the report said.
The military recruited 70,495 volunteers from 2016 to last year, which was equivalent to enlisting 0.3 percent of the population each year, matching the enlistment rates in other democracies, it said.
While Taiwan could before 2016 draw volunteers from a pool of about 110,000 military-aged males per year, the number of men available to the military has declined every year since 2019, it said.
By 2025, the military would not be able to recruit more than 9,305 new volunteers, a decrease of 4,709 compared with the current levels and insufficient for meeting national defense needs, it said.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying