The administration of US President Joe Biden is considering moves that would restrict US investment in Chinese technology companies amid growing tensions between the two countries, people familiar with the matter said on Friday.
The investment curbs taking shape would likely come as an executive order to be signed by Biden in the coming months, one of the people said.
A separate action against TikTok, a hugely popular video-sharing app owned by China’s ByteDance Ltd (字節跳動), is possible, but no action is imminent, the person added.
Photo: Reuters
The US Department of Commerce might place further restrictions on chips used for artificial intelligence computing, they said..
The White House is in discussions with the US Congress on legislation requiring companies to disclose planned investments in certain Chinese industries, the other person said.
Among options being discussed is the establishment of a system that would give the US government the authority to block investments outright, the second person said.
The executive order would be part of a broader strategy, they said, adding that the US recently curbed sales of semiconductors to China and Russia.
Last month, Biden signed into law a broad competition measure that includes about US$52 billion to bolster domestic semiconductor research and development.
The White House declined to comment on Friday.
TikTok representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The commerce department expects to by the end of the year have an update on steps to protect Americans’ data from foreign-owned apps, the department’s press office said earlier this week.
US companies are under increasing government scrutiny over what they sell to China, whose electronics factories and consumers make it the biggest buyer of chips.
Washington has been tightening restrictions on sales to the country, arguing that it represents a security risk.
Nvidia Corp shares tumbled on Thursday after the chipmaker said new rules on the export of some artificial intelligence chips could affect hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue.
The executive order might be intended to address some of the concerns contemplated in the draft “national critical capabilities defense act” introduced by US senators John Cornyn and Bob Casey, Biden administration sources said on condition of anonymity.
The US has up to now pursued a patchwork policy that has stopped short of flat-out locking Chinese firms out of the chip industry.
It has concentrated on singling out individual companies, such as Huawei Technologies Co (華為) and Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp (中芯), that it has accused of being a threat to national security.
Both companies deny the allegations.
Recent steps indicate that the administration is leaning toward a more hawkish stance of banning Chinese access to whole swaths of technology, experts have said.
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
POWER PLANT POLL: The TPP said the number of ‘yes’ votes showed that the energy policy should be corrected, and the KMT said the result was a win for the people’s voice The government does not rule out advanced nuclear energy generation if it meets the government’s three prerequisites, President William Lai (賴清德) said last night after the number of votes in favor of restarting a nuclear power plant outnumbered the “no” votes in a referendum yesterday. The referendum failed to pass, despite getting more “yes” votes, as the Referendum Act (公民投票法) states that the vote would only pass if the votes in favor account for more than one-fourth of the total number of eligible voters and outnumber the opposing votes. Yesterday’s referendum question was: “Do you agree that the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.