Uni-President Enterprises Corp (統一企業) has reported that a bilberry extract dietary supplement was found to contain an ingredient contaminated with radioactive cesium-137 at levels above the regulated safety standard and is recalling the product, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said yesterday.
The company had sent samples of the ingredient Extracyan — a cateco-anthocyanidins standardized extract of bilberry fruit — used in its dietary supplement Yu-bei “eye and brain protection capsules” (預倍保明智膠囊) to the Atomic Energy Council’s Institute of Nuclear Energy Research for examination.
The company yesterday notified the FDA after a preliminary examination found that the Extracyan contained radioactive cesium-137 that produced 477 becquerels per kilogram (Bq/kg).
Photo courtesy of the Food and Drug Administration
The FDA said the capsules were commissioned to and manufactured by Chung Nan Biotech Co (中南生物科技) in Nantou County, and 10kg of Extracyan used in the product was imported from France by Healthtake Corp (和司特) on Aug. 17 last year.
Eight kilograms were supplied to Chung Nan Biotech to make three batches of the capsules — two batches with an expiry date of Jan. 11, 2019, and one batch with an expiry date of Sept. 7, 2019, for a total of 3,328 bottles, the FDA said.
It said that 1,346 bottles in storage have been sealed and 1,982 bottles that had been sold are being recalled.
Photo courtesy of the Food and Drug Administration
The remaining 2kg of Extracyan was purchased by another company, which has not used it, and the ingredient has been confiscated by the FDA for examination.
The regulation standard for cesium-137 is 100Bq/kg in general food products, FDA Southern Taiwan Management Center Director Liu Fang-ming (劉芳銘) said, adding that this is the first case of excessive levels of cesium-137 in Extracyan sold in Taiwan.
The company has been monitoring food safety reports from other nations, so when it found reports of bilberry products from France having been contaminated with a radioactive substance, it sent samples of Extracyan for examination, Uni-President spokesman Tu Chung-cheng (涂忠正) said.
Although the capsules passed inspections by the commission and the FDA on Friday last week, the company still issued a precautionary recall, Tu said.
People who purchased the products can take the receipt or bottle to one of the company’s Santa Cruz Organic Food (聖德科斯) retail stores or call the company’s toll-free service number (0800-037-520) for a refund, Tu added.
Additional reporting by Chang Hui-wen
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats