China’s imposition of a no-fly zone north of Taiwan for 27 minutes tomorrow is expected to affect 33 international flights in the region, Minister of Transportation and Communications Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材) said.
Wang on Wednesday said he spoke with officials at the Japan Civil Aviation Bureau about Beijing’s restriction, which is thought to be related to expected debris from a Chinese satellite launch. Commercial vessels have also been told to avoid the 85-nautical-mile (157km) area north of Taiwan, he said.
The ministry on Wednesday said that Beijing reduced the flight-restriction period from three days to less than 30 minutes following protests from Taiwanese civil aviation officials. It is unlikely that Beijing made such a major change to its plans to respect Taiwan, and much more likely that it had miscalculated the scope of its effect on other countries, which most likely also lodged strong protests. Wang said that the original plans would have affected about 480 international flights over the course of three days. The economic impact would have been extensive, especially given that airline traffic is beginning to return to normal following the COVID-19 pandemic.
That China was able to narrow the window of the debris ocean impact to less than 30 minutes shows that the likely reason for the initial three-day flight restriction was to increase pressure on Taiwan and the US. China conducted three days of military exercises in the Taiwan Strait following a meeting between President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and US House of Representatives Speaker Kevin McCarthy. The day after those drills ended, the US began its largest joint exercises with the Philippines, only a few weeks after the Philippines granted the US access to four new military bases. It can be no coincidence that China suddenly attempted to impose a three-day no-fly zone within the Taipei Flight Information Region after the start of those drills.
The flight restriction was likely a part of Beijing’s “gray zone” warfare strategy against Taiwan, which security analyst William Chung (鍾志東) first warned about in June 2020. China has imposed air and sea restrictions against Taiwan in the past, such as in October 2020 when it prevented a military chartered supply flight operated by Uni Air from flying to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands, 東沙群島) in the South China Sea, saying that “dangerous activities” were being conducted in Hong Kong airspace, which the Pratas Islands fall within.
Retired lieutenant general Chang Yen-ting (張延廷) at the time warned that the government must have a contingency plan should China prevent flights from reaching other Taiwan-controlled islands, such as those in Kinmen and Lienchiang counties. In August last year when then-US House of Representatives speaker Nancy Pelosi made a stopover in Taipei, China held drills around Taiwan disrupting air and sea traffic in the area for several days.
Analysts said that China scaled back the recent drills due to the backlash it received from the drills following Pelosi’s Taipei visit. The immediacy with which Beijing reduced its three-day flight restriction to only 27 minutes, likely also following international pressure, demonstrates that Beijing practices caution despite its clamorous rhetoric.
The importance of Taiwanese semiconductors to the global economy, and the importance of Taipei as a hub for travel and trade, means that China is limited in how much pressure it can exert on Taiwan. However, the government must ensure its ability to respond quickly to China by maintaining good communication with friendly nations, and continue efforts to join the International Civil Aviation Organization.
China is unlikely to scale up drills around Taiwan, or to attempt an invasion of Taiwan, in the near future, as it knows that doing so would be detrimental to its own interests. Nevertheless, Taiwan must be ready for every contingency.
In a summer of intense political maneuvering, Taiwanese, whose democratic vibrancy is a constant rebuke to Beijing’s authoritarianism, delivered a powerful verdict not on China, but on their own political leaders. Two high-profile recall campaigns, driven by the ruling party against its opposition, collapsed in failure. It was a clear signal that after months of bitter confrontation, the Taiwanese public is demanding a shift from perpetual campaign mode to the hard work of governing. For Washington and other world capitals, this is more than a distant political drama. The stability of Taiwan is vital, as it serves as a key player
Yesterday’s recall and referendum votes garnered mixed results for the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT). All seven of the KMT lawmakers up for a recall survived the vote, and by a convincing margin of, on average, 35 percent agreeing versus 65 percent disagreeing. However, the referendum sponsored by the KMT and the Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) on restarting the operation of the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant in Pingtung County failed. Despite three times more “yes” votes than “no,” voter turnout fell short of the threshold. The nation needs energy stability, especially with the complex international security situation and significant challenges regarding
Much like the first round on July 26, Saturday’s second wave of recall elections — this time targeting seven Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers — also failed. With all 31 KMT legislators who faced recall this summer secure in their posts, the mass recall campaign has come to an end. The outcome was unsurprising. Last month’s across-the-board defeats had already dealt a heavy blow to the morale of recall advocates and the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), while bolstering the confidence of the KMT and its ally the Taiwan People’s Party (TPP). It seemed a foregone conclusion that recalls would falter, as
The fallout from the mass recalls and the referendum on restarting the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant continues to monopolize the news. The general consensus is that the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) has been bloodied and found wanting, and is in need of reflection and a course correction if it is to avoid electoral defeat. The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) has not emerged unscathed, either, but has the opportunity of making a relatively clean break. That depends on who the party on Oct. 18 picks to replace outgoing KMT Chairman Eric Chu (朱立倫). What is certain is that, with the dust settling