Chinese network-gear makers Huawei Technologies Co (華為) and ZTE Corp (中興) could face higher barriers to the US market under a proposal advanced on Monday by US regulators in Washington’s latest move against feared espionage from foreign telecommunications suppliers.
US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Ajit Pai proposed barring funds from a program that subsidizes wireless service in rural areas from being used to buy equipment or services from companies determined to be a risk to US national security.
The move follows increased scrutiny of Huawei by US officials. In a letter from Dec. 20 last year, led by US Senator Tom Cotton, 18 lawmakers expressed concern about “Chinese espionage in general, and Huawei’s role in that espionage in particular” and suggested briefings for FCC officials by intelligence agencies.
US Congress has barred the Pentagon from buying gear from Huawei, ZTE and the Russian firm Kaspersky Lab, and FCC officials could use that list as a model.
“Threats to national security posed by certain communications-equipment providers are a matter of bipartisan concern,” Pai said on Monday in a news release that did not mention Huawei. “Hidden ‘back doors’ to our networks in routers, switches — and virtually any other type of telecommunications equipment — can provide an avenue for hostile governments to inject viruses, launch denial-of-service attacks, steal data, and more.”
Huawei is among the largest makers of networking equipment, despite a de facto ban that prevents US’ four principal wireless carriers from using its gear. It was all but blacklisted in 2012 along with ZTE when the US House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence cited security risks posed by the companies.
Earlier this month, US President Donald Trump’s administration blocked Broadcom Ltd’s hostile takeover bid for San Diego-based chipmaker Qualcomm Inc over fears the combined company would cut research, handing next-generation wireless leadership to Huawei and jeopardizing US national security. In September last year, Trump blocked the sale of Lattice Semiconductor Corp to a Chinese-backed investor.
The US and China are involved in a wider trade conflict, with Beijing announcing tariffs on products including pork and wine as retaliation against steel and aluminum duties ordered by Trump.
Pai’s proposal is set for a preliminary vote at the April 17 meeting of the agency, where he leads a Republican majority. It would affect the use of money from the FCC’s US$8.5 billion Universal Service Fund, which helps fund companies that build networks in rural areas and offers monthly subsidies to poor consumers.
Best Buy Co is said to be cutting ties with Huawei, and US mobile-phone carriers AT&T Inc and Verizon Communications Inc have distanced themselves. Verizon is said to have dropped all plans to sell phones made by Huawei, and AT&T decided not to introduce Huawei’s Mate 10 Pro to the US market.
The US mobile-phone market is dominated by Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co. Since most phones are purchased through carriers, it is almost impossible for a manufacturer to gain serious market share without support from AT&T or Verizon, the two largest US wireless networks.
A Huawei spokesman declined to comment.
Huawei, China’s largest maker of telecommunications equipment, was founded in 1988 by former Chinese army officer Ren Zhengfei (任正非).
Huawei consumer-products chief Richard Yu (余承東) in January defended his company’s record, saying it has proven its privacy and security protections.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort