Global interest rates are too low and pose a rapidly growing risk to financial stability and economic growth, the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) said on Sunday.
In its strongest warning yet that policy normalization should come sooner rather than later, the BIS said economic growth across the world is uneven, debt burdens in many areas are high and rising, and the explosion of credit growth shows financial imbalances are building up again.
The Switzerland-based BIS said a major contributory factor has been the pursuit of “excessively low” interest rates in response to the 2007-2008 global financial crisis and the deflation scare triggered by last year’s plunge in global oil prices.
However, keeping rates anchored at these historic, ultra-low levels threatens to inflict “serious damage” on the financial system and exacerbate market volatility, as well as limiting policymakers’ response to the next recession when it comes.
“Risk-taking in financial markets has gone on for too long and the illusion that markets will remain liquid under stress has been too pervasive,” the BIS said in its 85th annual report.
“The likelihood of turbulence will increase further if current extraordinary conditions are spun out. The more one stretches an elastic band, the more violently it snaps back,” it added.
BIS Monetary and Economic Department head Claudio Borio described the state of the global economy and financial system as one of “too much debt, too little growth and too low interest rates.”
The first US interest rate hike in almost a decade is now on the horizon and when the US Federal Reserve does move, it is likely to mark a turn in the global monetary policy tide. No fewer than 29 central banks have eased policy to some degree this year to boost growth, ward off the threat of deflation, or both.
The most notable of these has been the European Central Bank’s 1.1 trillion euro (US$1.22 trillion) “quantitative easing” program of bond buying, launched in March and due to run through to September next year.
In strong language for the usually reserved BIS, it said extraordinarily loose monetary policy on a global level can cause “pervasive mispricing” in asset markets, and that stocks and some corporate bond markets are now “quite stretched.”
“In some jurisdictions, monetary policy is already testing its outer limits, to the point of stretching the boundaries of the unthinkable,” the BIS said.
A return to more normal policies would be “bumpy,” not least because low rates have given rise to a “faulty debt-fueled global growth model” — precisely what caused the crisis in the first place.
Central banks have carried the burden of ensuring the post-crisis recovery for too long, the BIS said. Now longer-term policies to secure the stability of the global economy and financial system must be put in place, it said.
The leeway to do this opened up by the 60 percent plunge in oil prices between June last year and January is an opportunity governments should not pass up, the BIS said.
“Nothing is inevitable about this,” it added. A failure on the part of governments, central banks and financial regulators to adopt more “prudent” policies would risk “entrenching instability and chronic weakness.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his