Nokia Corp is broadening a legal dispute it already has with Apple Inc over the iPhone, saying almost all of the company’s other products also violate the Finnish phone maker’s patents.
Nokia said on Tuesday it had filed a complaint against Apple with the US International Trade Commission, alleging Apple’s iPhone, iPods and computers all violate Nokia’s intellectual property rights.
At issue are key features found in Apple products, including aspects of user interface, cameras, antenna and power management technologies, Nokia said. The company claims that the technologies in question help cut manufacturing costs, reduce device size and prolong battery life.
A household name in Asia and Europe, Nokia is a smaller player in the US, where its smartphones face tough competition from Apple’s iPhone and Research in Motion Ltd’s BlackBerry devices. Nokia, the world’s largest cellphone maker, has cautioned that its own market share volume, currently at some 38 percent, would be flat next year.
The company, which is based in Espoo, Finland, has already sued Apple in US District Court in Wilmington, Delaware, over the massively popular iPhone, claiming it infringes on 10 of its patents related to phone calls and Wi-Fi access.
Apple has denied the charges and this month countered with its own lawsuit in the Delaware court, saying Nokia has copied aspects of the iPhone in its devices. Apple claims Nokia is violating its patent rights on technology for connecting phones to computers, teleconferencing and touch-screen menus, among other things.
Federal lawsuits allow companies to seek monetary damages and court orders to end certain practices. With complaints before the US International Trade Commission, companies could get an order for Customs to stop imports of products made with the disputed technology. Many of Apple’s products and parts are made abroad.
Apple, which has its headquarters in Cupertino, California, did not return messages seeking comment on Tuesday.
Separately, Google announced plans on Tuesday to hold a press event next month about its Android mobile phone operating system amid speculation the Internet giant plans to release its own smartphone.
Google invited reporters to attend an “Android press gathering” next Tuesday at the company’s Mountain View, California, headquarters.
“With the launch of the first Android-powered device just over a year ago, we’ve seen how a powerful, open platform can spur mobile product innovation,” the invitation said. “And this is just the beginning of what’s possible,” it said.
The invitation provided no further details about the event.
But it comes amid reports Google is preparing to release a Google-branded smartphone known as “Nexus One,” which would be sold directly to consumers and would not be tied to any one telecom carrier.
Google employees have been testing the device internally.
A growing number of US telecom carriers and manufacturers have been adopting Google’s open-source Android software in bids to challenge the iPhone and BlackBerry.
Although Android’s share of the US smartphone market is relatively small, it has doubled in the past year to 3.5 percent in October, comScore said.
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
THAI CASE UPDATE: Twenty-nine close contacts of the worker have been tested with two types of tests, including 18 dorm mates, with 28 negative results so far Five imported cases of COVID-19, four from the Philippines and one from Hong Kong, were reported yesterday, bringing the total confirmed cases in Taiwan to 467, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The four returning from the Philippines were on the same flight, and the local health department has identified 15 people who had direct contact with them — including 10 passengers in the two rows in front or behind them, who have been put under 14-day home isolation, and five crew members, who will practice 14-day self-health management, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang