The Japanese Finance Ministry raised its assessment of the regional economy for the first time in five years amid a recovery in exports and industrial production.
“Some areas of the economy are showing movements of picking up or leveling out,” the ministry’s local-office chiefs said in a quarterly report in Tokyo yesterday, the first upgrade since April 2004. The economy is in a “severe” state, it said.
A recovery in global demand and Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso’s ¥25 trillion (US$264 billion) in stimulus measures are increasing confidence that the worst of the nation’s deepest postwar recession is over. Japan’s exports fell at the slowest pace this year last month and a report due tomorrow is expected to show factory output rose for a fourth month.
The ministry upgraded its assessment in 10 of the country’s 11 regions, the report said. It left unchanged its evaluation of Okinawa, saying conditions “remain severe.”
The Bank of Japan said this month it became more optimistic about regional economies for the first time since January 2006.
Japan’s economy probably grew at an annualized 2.4 percent in the three months ended on June 30, the first expansion in more than a year, according to a Bloomberg News survey of economists.
Despite signs that the economy is recovering, all regions said that employment conditions remain severe or are worsening. Japan’s unemployment rate rose to a five-year high of 5.2 percent in May.
Separately, South Korea, Asia’s fourth-largest economy, posted a record current account surplus of just under US$22 billion in the year’s first half, data showed yesterday.
The country’s broadest measure of trade and income was in the black last month for a fifth month running, the central Bank of Korea said, pointing to brisk exports and a sharp fall in imports.
The current account surplus last month was US$5.43 billion, its biggest since a record high of US$6.65 billion in March, the bank said in a report.
The cumulative current account surplus for the first half to last month was a record US$21.75 billion, the bank said.
The current account, which measures trade, service and investment flows with the rest of the world, has been in the black since February.
Lee Young-bog, head of the central bank’s division handling balance-of-payments statistics, said the country would likely post another surplus this month.
“Seasonal factors like summer vacations could prompt the service account deficit to increase,” he told reporters.
“But given expected brisk exports, the country is likely to post a current account surplus of around US$4 billion for July,” Lee said.
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very