Dutch bank and insurance group ING yesterday reported a 3.7 billion euro (US$4.7 billion) fourth-quarter net loss just months after receiving 10 billion euros from the state to help weather the global economic crisis.
This compares with a net profit of 2.5 billion euros posted in the same quarter of 2007, the company said in a statement.
‘UNPRECEDENTED’
“The financial crisis has had an unprecedented impact on our industry and the magnitude of the crisis has left few companies untouched,” board chairman Jan Hommen said in a statement.
“ING had started the year focused on growth, and we were overtaken by the pace and severity of the downturn in the fourth quarter that eroded our earnings and our equity,” Hommen said.
The figure was slightly better than a net loss of 3.9 billion euros predicted by analysts polled by Dow Jones financial news wire.
It represented a net loss per share of 1.82 euros compared with a net profit per share of 1.18 euros in the fourth quarter of 2007.
For the year as a whole, ING reported a loss of 729 million euros, compared with a profit of 9.2 billion euros in 2007.
“The fourth quarter of 2008 marked the worst quarter for equity and credit markets in over half a century,” a company statement said.
CHANGES
“Although ING actively reduced risk exposures across the Group throughout the quarter, the rapid and profound changes in the economic climate impacted results,” the company said.
ING is one of the world’s top 20 banks by market capitalization with 85 million clients and about 130,000 employees.
In October, it received a 10 billion euro cash injection from the Dutch state, but announced last month, it would shed 7,000 jobs globally this year as part of a plan to generate savings of 1 billion euros this year and 1.1 billion euros annually thereafter.
Among other savings, the sale of ING Life Taiwan should free up 5.7 billion euros in capital, and the sale of a 70 percent stake in ING Canada should yield another 1.4 billion euros.
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very