The French state will lend 3 billion euros (US$3.9 billion) each to automakers Renault and PSA Citroen as part of aid to the auto industry expected to be unveiled yesterday, the dailies Les Echos and Le Figaro reported.
In order to receive the 3 billion euro loans at preferential rates, the two automakers are to pledge to not lay off any workers or close any factories in France, the dailies wrote.
The companies are also to pledge to issue moderate dividends and bonuses to executives will be reduced, they added.
French Prime Minister Francois Fillon promised French automakers last month aid in the area of 5 billion euros to 6 billion euros.
The amount could rise further if the French state decides to help Renault Trucks, which is owned by AB Volvo.
The French state provided 1 billion euros of preferential rate loans to the financing arms of the automakers in December. It also brought in a bonus to buyers to encourage the purchase of new cars.
The aid package has sparked fears of protectionism after French officials, including French President Nicolas Sarkozy, appeared to tie it to bringing production back to France from other countries, including other EU countries.
The Financial Times also reported that Paris would ask car companies that receive state aid to buy only French-made parts, which also fueled protectionism concerns at the European Commission.
A slump in sales in the second half of last year forced both Renault and PSA Citroen to temporarily halt production at numerous sites at the end of last year.
Car sales were down 7.9 percent last month compared to the same month the previous year, following drops of around 15 percent in November and December.
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
CHINESE FIGHTERS: Beijing marked the US Cabinet member’s visit by briefly sending two warplanes across the median line of the Taiwan Strait yesterday morning President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday met with US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar in the highest-level official meeting between the two nations since 1979. “It is a true honor to be here to convey a message of strong support and friendship from [US] President [Donald] Trump to Taiwan,” Azar said during the open portion of his courtesy call to the Presidential Office, which was streamed live online before Tsai and Azar held a closed-door meeting. “Taiwan’s response to COVID-19 has been among the most successful in the world, and that is a tribute to the open, transparent,
PARTNERSHIP AND LEARNING: A Princeton University health policy researcher said that the nation would be a ‘treasure trove’ of information for the US health chief US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar on Friday said he wants to learn about Taiwan’s “incredibly effective” response to COVID-19, even though the nation did things that the US has fumbled, such as having a unified strategy and citizens willing to wear masks. Azar leads a US delegation arriving today for a three-day visit to Taiwan. They are to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and health system leaders, and Azar is to give a speech to public health graduates. “The message of this trip is about Taiwan,” Azar said in an interview, deflecting a question about China.
Taiwanese-independence advocates yesterday accused former president Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) of breaking national security laws and called on the judiciary to investigate after his statement that “China will wage a battle, which will be quick and will be the last battle for Taiwan.” Ma showed his true colors “as a mouthpiece of the Chinese Communist Party” in his speech on Monday when he said the “first battle will be the last,” Taiwan Republic Office (台灣國辦公室) director Chilly Chen (陳峻涵) said. “Ma is threatening Taiwanese by claiming that Beijing will launch a quick invasion of Taiwan, but that the US military will have no