Venezuela has signed a preliminary agreement to purchase Verizon Communications Inc's stake in the country's largest telecommunications company, the latest move by President Hugo Chavez toward nationalizing strategic sectors of the economy.
Telecommunications Minister Jesse Chacon said late on Monday the government will pay US$572 million for Verizon's 28.5 percent stake in Compania Anonima Nacional Telefonos de Venezuela, or CANTV, which Chavez has accused of spying on him at the bidding of the US.
Calling the agreement "transparent," Chacon said it "begins the process of nationalization of one of the most strategic companies for the country's development."
He spoke to reporters after signing the memorandum of understanding with John Diercksen, New York-based Verizon's executive vice president for strategy, development and planning.
The offer amounts to US$17.85 per CANTV American Depository Receipt (ADR) traded on the New York Stock Exchange. CANTV's ADRs closed up 1 percent earlier Monday at US$16.08.
Chacon said the price was "worked on and discussed with the company."
Diercksen said Verizon was pleased to have completed the negotiation quickly and to have given shareholders the opportunity to sell their interests in CANTV.
While the sale price is below the US$676 million that Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim offered for Verizon's stake last year, analysts said the deal still could turn out to be a reasonable one for the US company.
Officials did not say whether Verizon will receive its yearly dividend payment from CANTV as part of the deal -- a condition that was included in a separate buyout agreement last week between the government and US-based AES Corp for Venezuela's leading electricity company.
If so, that could bring the final sale price close to what the market had been expecting, said Luis Gustavo Richard, a financial analyst with local brokerage InterAcciones Casa de Bolsa CA.
Noting that the negotiation was completed just over more a month after Chavez announced the nationalization, Richard said the deal "had to be pretty good for Verizon, otherwise it could have dragged its feet a little more."
"Verizon obtained sufficient benefits during its operation of the company. Nobody is coming out of this losing," he added.
The deal leaves the government with 35 percent control of CANTV, including the 6.5 percent stake it already owned. Remaining shareholders in the company include Spain's Telefonica, public stockholders and employees and retirees.
That gives Chavez operative control of a company that he accused last month of spying on him.
At a summit of South American leaders on Jan. 19, he said CANTV was controlled by "North American capital" and accused the company of recording his conversations at the bidding of the "empire" -- a term he uses frequently to refer to Washington.
CANTV denied the accusation.
The deal with Verizon is the second in a series of takeovers announced by Chavez's leftist government in the electricity, telecommunications, natural gas and oil sectors in his bid to transform Venezuela into a socialist state.
The nationalizations have sparked fears that Chavez could mimic expropriations carried out by his mentor President Fidel Castro during Cuba's communist revolution.
But some investors were encouraged that Chavez's administration plans to fairly compensate companies it takes over, after the government signed a US$739 million agreement last week to buy out Electricidad de Caracas from Arlington, Virginia-based AES Corp.
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on
ON THE LOOKOUT: A Lockheed EP-3 reconnaissance plane was yesterday seen flying southwest of Kaohsiung, according to Twitter account ‘Aircraft Spots’ A Twitter account that tracks military aircraft movements has indicated an increase in US military activity near Taiwan, coinciding with an increase in Chinese military activity in the area. Planes from the US Seventh Fleet have been sighted frequently above the South China Sea in the past several days, and a US Navy EP-3 reconnaissance plane was seen flying close to Taiwanese airspace southwest of Kaohsiung yesterday, according to posts by the Twitter account Aircraft Spots. The EP-3 was seen circling above the same area, Aircraft Spots said, adding that other planes from the fleet were seen in the past few days
A Taipei resident who had breached his home quarantine order was found on Tuesday night in an Internet cafe and fined NT$1 million (US$32,976), Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) said yesterday, as the Taipei City Government announced a short-term COVID-19 relief plan. Huang on Tuesday afternoon publicized the name of the man, Chen Tse (陳冊), who on Saturday last week returned from Beijing and was ordered to undergo 14-day home quarantine. However, city monitoring officials were unable to contact him by mobile phone or at his home. Chen was found by police at an Internet cafe on Nanyang Street, Huang said
ACCLIMATION: Chen Shih-chung said that only ‘soft’ policies have been carried out so far, but ‘hard’ measures would be implemented if the coronavirus situation worsens The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday recommended that indoor events of more than 100 people and outdoor events with more than 500 people should be canceled, as 19 new imported cases of COVID-19 were announced, bringing the total number in Taiwan to 235. “The center recommends that from now, indoor events of more than 100 people and outdoor events with more than 500 people should be suspended to reduce the risk of COVID-19 community transmission,” said Deputy Minister of the Interior Chen Tsung-yen (陳宗彥), deputy head of the center. Event organizers should refer to six indicators listed in the response guidelines