Venezuela will end negotiations with foreign oil companies on how it will take a majority control of their operations along the Orinoco river, Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez said.
Ramirez told reporters on Monday that "there's no possible negotiation" with the foreign firms, but that private companies would be allowed to own minority stakes in the lucrative Orinoco river basin oil projects.
"Every case will be different," he said. "We will have an effective majority control."
The government negotiated last year with the companies about taking majority control of oil operations in the country, but no agreements were reached.
In a speech to congress last week, President Hugo Chavez said the private companies -- British Petroleum PLC, Exxon Mobil Corp, Chevron Corp, ConocoPhillips Co, Total SA and Statoil ASA -- would be given the option to stay on as minority partners.
Chavez -- a close ally of Cuban leader Fidel Castro -- also announced plans to nationalize companies within Venezuela's telecommunications, electricity and natural gas industries.
The government has already taken majority ownership of Venezuelan oil-producing operations outside the Orinoco region through joint ventures controlled by the state oil company.
Asked about the upcoming nationalization of top power company Electricidad de Caracas, owned by Arlington, Virginia-based AES Corp, Ramirez said: "We will take 100 percent of that stake."
Ramirez did not give details on how much the state would compensate EDC shareholders, but said officials would "try to reach a final resolution for all these issues this year, or the first half of this year."
EDC shares fell 6.15 percent on Monday on the Caracas Stock Exchange.
AES bought its 86 percent stake in EDC amid a hostile takeover in 2000 that was approved by the Chavez administration.
Government officials have criticized AES for making drastic staff cuts to reduce operating costs.
On natural gas, Ramirez said state oil company Petroleos de Venezuela SA -- which he also heads -- was "100 percent in agreement" with Chavez about imposing state control over the sector.
Private companies can hold a majority stake in natural gas projects, but Ramirez said that would be changed for future contracts.
He said existing gas licenses will be left untouched for now, though the government will take a closer look at them later on.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
‘SIGNAL TO ALLIES’: The US Navy’s exercises are not in response to those carried out by China, the commander of the strike group led by the USS ‘Ronald Reagan’ said Two US aircraft carriers were yesterday conducting exercises in the disputed South China Sea, the US Navy said as China also carried out military drills that have been criticized by the US Department of Defense and neighboring states. China and the US have accused each other of stoking tension in the waterway at a time of strained relations over everything from COVID-19 to trade to Hong Kong. The USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan were carrying out operations and exercises in the South China Sea “to support a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the navy said in a statement. It did not say exactly