Softbank Mobile Corp, the latest player in Japan's cutthroat mobile phone sector, said yesterday it was questioned by the government on its promotional discounts which have triggered an avalanche of interest.
But Softbank Mobile, a unit of the Internet conglomerate, denied any legal wrongdoing on the offer, which was so popular it overloaded the system.
"It is true that our official in charge of the matter was questioned by the Fair Trade Commission, but we regard our new service as having no problem at this point," a spokeswoman for Softbank Mobile said.
She spoke after Japanese media said the government commission had questioned Softbank Mobile over its discount service announcing "zero yen for calls, zero yen for e-mails."
The Sankei Shimbun said, citing unnamed sources, that the Fair Trade Commission was concerned that the advertisement may have failed to state clearly that there were preconditions for free calls and e-mails.
Commission officials declined to comment.
Softbank, an empire built by Masayoshi Son, one of Japan's richest entrepreneurs, in April completed a mega-deal to buy British mobile giant Vodafone's struggling Japanese operations for US$15 billion.
Softbank declared a price war against industry leader NTT DoCoMo and second-ranked KDDI Corp last week as Japan introduced "number portability," which lets customers switch carriers without changing phone numbers.
Its "zero yen" campaign was matched by a flashy media campaign including TV advertisements featuring Cameron Diaz.
Softbank had to stop the portability service twice over the weekend because its computer system could not handle the massive number of applications for joining and leaving it.
The breakdown led to fierce criticism by NTT DoCoMo and KDDI, which said that some of the customers may have been trying to switch to them.
Son on Monday apologized for the technical glitch.
He also announced Softbank's latest campaign to win more users, cutting fees to make calls to users of other carriers.
‘NO EQUILIBRIUM’: Taiwan’s increased defense spending is a good step, but it needs to do more to have the ability to deter aggression from China, a senior US official said The US plans to sell as many as seven major weapons systems — including mines, cruise missiles and drones — to Taiwan, four people familiar with the discussions said. Pursuing seven sales at once is a rare departure from years of precedent in which US military sales to Taiwan were spaced out and carefully calibrated to minimize tensions with Beijing. However, US President Donald Trump’s administration has this year become more aggressive with China, and the sales would land as relations between Beijing and Washington are at their lowest point in decades over accusations of spying, lingering trade tensions, disputes about the
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS: Several of the PLA fighter jets that crossed the median line of the Strait came within 68km of Hsinchu, drawing warnings from Taiwan, the ministry said At least 18 Chinese military aircraft yesterday flew into the nation’s air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on the second day of a US delegation’s visit, the Ministry of National Defense said, adding that the military responded by deploying an air defense missile system to monitor their activities. A delegation led by US Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth, Energy and the Environment Keith Krach on Thursday started a three-day visit to Taiwan. The ministry from Thursday started publicizing the actions of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) in Taiwan’s ADIZ on its Web site and Twitter. According to ministry reports, 18 PLA aircraft
ON THEIR OWN: The KMT has decided not to participate as a party at this year’s forum, and if any members do go, they would not be representing the party, Alicia Wang said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) yesterday announced that it would not send a delegation “as a political party” to this year’s Straits Forum, after a Chinese TV program described the planned visit to the annual meeting as “suing for peace.” The 12th forum is scheduled to open in Xiamen, China, on Saturday. On Tuesday last week, the KMT announced that former legislative speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) would lead the party’s delegation to the forum, with KMT Secretary-General Lee Chien-lung (李乾龍) as deputy head. However, on Thursday last week, China Central Television’s (CCTV) Yangshipin (央視頻) program, hosted by Li Hong (李紅), included a headline
WORKING OVERTIME? NTU professor Lee Duu-jong denied that he had held a part-time position at a Chinese university or joined China’s Thousand Talents Program A candidate for the post of National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (NTUST) president yesterday dropped out of the race following a report questioning his links to Chinese academia and government programs. Lee Duu-jong (李篤中), a professor at National Taiwan University’s (NTU) chemical engineering department, was a member of China’s Changjiang Scholars’ Program in 2006 and was on the list of its Thousand Talents Program in 2017, a report by Chinese-language Mirror Media magazine said yesterday. The article said that Lee is suspected of having held a part-time job at the Harbin Institute of Technology in China and was the recipient