Figuring that the world will always want to shave unwanted body hair, brush its teeth and avoid bad breath and body-odor, the proposed purchase of Gillette by Procter & Gamble has so far been widely welcomed by the markets and one of the world's shrewdest investors, Warren Buffett.
As news sank in that the Cincinnati-based giant P&G, with a market value of US$140 billion, was prepared to pay US$57 billion for the Boston-based maker of Braun razors, Oral-B products and Duracell batteries, few analysts uttered even mild words of caution about the difficulty of integrating the companies into what will be a consumer-products behemoth.
"This combination of two best-in-class consumer products companies, at a time when they are both operating from strength, is a unique opportunity," said P&G CEO AG Lafley in a prepared statement on Friday. Although the deal will need regulatory approval, this is unlikely to be a problem because there is little overlap in the companies' products. P&G, which employs 110,000 in about 80 countries, already has 16 brands; its purchase of Gillette will add five more.
In welcoming the deal, they said that Gillette's male-orientated strength in razors, such as the Mach 3, and deodorants, such as Right Guard, are fine complements to P&G's stable of women's brands, including Olay lotions, Tampax, and Cover Girl and Max Factor cosmetics. At the same time, life will become more difficult for competitors such as Colgate-Palmolive. Its toothpastes will now have to compete with P&G's Crest and Gillette's Oral B toothbrushes. P&G-Gillette will also control Secret, Sure, Old Spice and Right Guard deodorants, versus the Speed Stick of Colgate.
On Friday, when news of the deal broke, analysts suggested it gives the green light to other consumer giants, such as Coca-Cola, to consider equally massive deals. It is taken as given that becoming as big as possible is the only way to maintain any power over retailers.
In the age of Wal-Mart, suppliers cannot be too big or too powerful.
"P&G is getting one of the `true crown jewels' in all of consumer products," says CIBC World Markets analyst Joseph Altobello.
"Besides creating what would be the pre-eminent consumer products company in the world, we believe it would underscore our thesis that suppliers need to either `get big or get focused' in order to maintain leverage in an industry marked by retailer consolidation."
In terms of sheer bulk, P&G-Gillette will be hard to beat: The combined company will have annual sales of US$60.7 billion. The world's number one foodmaker, Switzerland-based Nestle SA, has annual revenue of US$65.4 billion. Unilever, the world's largest food and soap manufacturer, has US$48.25 billion. For P&G's Lafley, the deal far surpasses his 2003 purchase of German hair-care products company Wella for US$6.9 billion.
In financial terms, the deal falls marginally short of being the largest merger in the past year. The first and second prize, respectively, in that contest go to French drugmaker Sanofi-Synthelabo's purchase of Aventis for US$72.7 billion a year ago, and JP Morgan Chase & Co's acquisition of Bank One Corp, for US$58 billion. But it comes in ahead of Cingular Wireless's purchase of AT&T Wireless Services (US$46.7 billion) and Sprint Corp's agreement to buy Nextel Communications for US$35 billion.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying