Guatemala’s human rights prosecutor on Friday indicted another former top military official for genocide and crimes against humanity committed during the bloodiest phase of the Central American country’s 36-year civil war.
Luis Enrique Mendoza Garcia, a military operations chief under former Guatemalan president Efrain Rios Montt, is to be tried in March next year for his role in an operation in the early 1980s that killed at least 1,771 Maya Ixil and displaced thousands.
Judge Jimmy Bremer on Friday formally received the charges the prosecutors presented against the 76-year-old in a court in Guatemala City.
Mendoza Garcia is the fourth top military official facing justice in less than a week after Benedicto Lucas Garcia, Manuel Callejas and Cesar Noguera were indicted in a separate case of genocide against the same community.
“I was not the one who ruled,” Mendoza Garcia said in a declaration given by video conference.
Mendoza Garcia added that he had no means to plan or carry out such an operation.
Reporters were unable to contact the accused, all of whom have denied the allegations.
Mendoza Garcia was captured six months ago after having been on the run since 2011.
Guatemala’s human rights prosecutor said that there were more victims and witnesses who could testify against him than in other processes.
Former military intelligence chief Jose Mauricio Rodriguez was last year acquitted of charges of genocide and crimes against humanity after the court said that it had insufficient evidence.
During the country’s civil war from 1960 to 1996, an estimated 200,000 civilians, mostly Mayan, were killed and another 45,000 went missing.
Rios Montt, who ruled during the war’s bloodiest phase, between 1982 and 1983, died in April last year, when he was facing renewed charges after his conviction for genocide and crimes against humanity was overturned.
Lucas Garcia is the brother of former Guatemalan president Romeo Lucas Garcia. Guatemala’s human rights prosecutor accuses him of having planned one of the operations in the Maya Ixil region about 225km northwest of the capital.
Separately on Friday, Guatemalan president-elect Alejandro Giammattei regretted the decision of a Swiss court to uphold a 15-year prison sentence for Swiss-Guatemalan Erwin Sperisen for his role in a 2006 prison operation.
Giammattei also faced accusations of human rights breaches for the same incident, during which seven prisoners, but no government officials, died; he was later exonerated for lack of evidence.
“An act of injustice,” Giammattei said. “I would have liked to testify in the case.”
Sperisen’s defense team did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but told local media said that they would take the case to the European Court of Human Rights.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500