Tourists keen for a close-up look at Komodo dragons in their natural habitat could be hit with an alarming bill, if one Indonesian politician gets his way.
Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat, the governor of East Nusa Tenggara Province, home to the world’s biggest lizard, has proposed charging visitors US$500 to see the endangered species, about 50 times the current entrance fee for foreign tourists at Komodo National Park.
If he prevails, the park would be off limits to all but “extraordinary” visitors with cash to burn.
“[Komodo dragons] are very unique, but sadly they come cheap,” he said in a speech to university administrators earlier this week.
“Only people with deep pockets are allowed to [see the Komodo dragons]. Those who don’t have the money shouldn’t visit the park, since it specifically caters to extraordinary people,” he added.
The governor — who also suggested recreational boats should be charged a US$50,000 entrance fee — said he would talk with the central government, which administers the national park.
The provincial government and Indonesian Ministry of Environment and Forestry did not respond to requests for comment on the proposed fee hike.
Indonesian politicians have a long history of announcing plans that rarely come to pass, including a former drug czar’s proposal to build a prison surrounded by moats filled with piranhas and crocodiles to tighten security.
Thousands of tourists annually descend on the cluster of islands in eastern Indonesia that are the only place in the world where Komodo dragons can be seen in their natural habitat.
Previously, the government planned to limit the number of tourists over concerns that the influx was putting pressure on the environment and endangering the giant lizard’s habitat.
The slavering carnivores, which can grow to about 3m in length and weigh up to 70kg, can be dangerous to humans, although deadly attacks are rare.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting