The US government on Monday said it may have found a way to crack the iPhone of one of the San Bernardino attackers without Apple’s help, possibly avoiding a showdown with the tech giant.
In a court filing, federal prosecutors said that on Sunday, an unidentified “outside party” had demonstrated to the FBI a possible way to unlock Syed Farook’s iPhone.
“Our top priority has always been gaining access into the phone used by the terrorist in San Bernardino,” US Department of Justice spokeswoman Melanie Newman said in a statement. “With this goal in mind, the FBI has continued in its efforts to gain access to the phone without Apple’s assistance, even during a month-long period of litigation with the company.”
She said the government was “cautiously optimistic” that the latest option to recover data from the iPhone would work.
A California federal judge who was set to preside over a hearing in the contentious case yesterday granted the government’s request for a delay and asked that a status report be filed by April 5.
The new development may help avert — at least for now — a full-blown showdown between the US government and the world’s most valuable company that could have wide ramifications on digital security and privacy.
Privacy advocates hailed the FBI’s apparent drawback in the case as a win for Apple and encryption.
“With the FBI backing down on this case, this is at least a short-term win for Apple,” the Center for Democracy and Technology said in a statement. “This has always been a case about the government attempting to mandate technological backdoors that would make all Americans less secure.”
Federal prosecutors and Apple for weeks have traded a volley of legal briefs related to the FBI’s demand that the tech company help investigators unlock Farook’s work phone.
The FBI says the device may contain critical information for its probe into the shooting on Dec. 2 last year that left 14 people dead and was the deadliest terror attack in the US since Sept. 11, 2001.
However, Apple has balked at a court order to help investigators, citing customer privacy and security concerns.
The company, backed by security experts, civil rights advocates and other tech giants — including Google, Facebook and Microsoft — contends that assisting the FBI would jeopardize users’ data and set a dangerous precedent.
The FBI had been seeking Apple’s help in writing new software — or what the company said was creating a “backdoor” — that would allow investigators to circumvent the iPhone’s built-in security.
It argued that Apple is not above the law and that its request for technical assistance concerns only Farook’s work phone from the San Bernardino health department.
Farook and his Pakistani-born wife, Tashfeen Malik, died in a firefight with police after the attack.
Two other cellphones that are linked to the couple were found destroyed.
Tech giants and civil rights advocates have warned that the case goes beyond just one phone and that if the court sides with the FBI, it would spring open a “Pandora’s box” for human rights and digital security.
“Governments trying to undermine encryption should think twice before they open this Pandora’s box,” Amnesty International deputy director for global issues Sherif Elsayed-Ali said in a statement. “Weakening privacy online could have disastrous consequences for free societies, particularly for the human rights activists and journalists who hold our leaders to account.”
Rights advocates also say that while the FBI’s request to access the data on Farook’s phone might be legitimate, the method of accessing it raises concerns.
Technology analyst Rob Enderle speculated that the undisclosed person now helping the government crack Farook’s iPhone might be an ex-Apple employee or a computer security expert.
“An ex-Apple employee with the right set of skills could do this,” he said, dismissing the likelihood that the tech company itself could quietly be helping authorities. “If this was Apple coming in through the back door, and it leaked, the repercussions for Apple in terms of trust would be huge.”
Apple officials could not immediately be reached for comment concerning the latest twist in the case.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”