German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Francois Hollande were to meet in Berlin yesterday to give a new push to European efforts to tackle the biggest migrant crisis in 50 years.
The pair were also to hold talks on the resurgence of violence in Ukraine, with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko joining them later in the day.
Merkel and Hollande have put enormous political onus on resolving Ukraine’s 16-month pro-Russian uprising and returning peace to the EU’s turbulent eastern front.
The diplomatic push on migrants comes as the EU is grappling with an unprecedented influx of people fleeing war, repression and poverty in what the bloc has described as its worst refugee crisis since World War II.
Official figures show a record 107,500 migrants crossed into the EU last month and there are mounting calls for the bloc to adopt a more unified approach in dealing with the influx.
“There has to be a new impetus so that what has been decided is implemented,” a source in the French presidency said, referring to EU decisions taken in June to tackle the crisis.
“The situation is not resolving itself,” the source said, adding that the decisions made by the EU “are not sufficient, not quick enough and not up to the task.”
Their priorities include compiling a list of countries whose nationals would not be considered asylum seekers except in exceptional personal circumstances. The French and German leaders will also move to help speed up the setting up of reception centers in overwhelmed Greece and Italy to help identify asylum seekers and illegal migrants.
In Brussels, European Commission President Jean Claude Juncker yesterday dismissed calls for a new EU summit on immigration, saying member states should stop dragging their heels and implement existing agreements on the matter.
In an opinion piece published in France’s Le Figaro and Germany’s Die Welt, Juncker repeated his criticism of European governments failing to take migrants from Italy and Greece.
“We don’t need a new summit. Member states have to adopt the European measures and apply them to their territory,” he wrote.
Juncker added that the EU should draw up a uniform list of “safe countries” to which migrants could be returned.
Meanwhile, at least 2,000 more migrants flooded overnight into Serbia in a desperate journey to try and go on to Hungary, a UN official said yesterday.
At least 7,000 people — mostly refugees from the brutal war in Syria — have been registered so far in the last days in overwhelmed Serbia as Europe’s worst refugee crisis in half a century rapidly worsens.
All of them entered Serbia from Macedonia, where police on Saturday re-opened the border with Greece after spending three days trying to hold back the streams of migrants, when hundreds braved barbed wire fences and stun grenades to force their way through.
“The latest developments in Macedonia have led to a congestion and we now have tens of thousands of refugees who have entered Serbia from Macedonia,” Davor Rako, a local official for the UN refugee agency said in the southern Serbian town of Presevo.
He said about 2,000 more migrants had registered at the border village of Miratovac, where Serbian authorities and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees have set up a reception centre with eight huge tents.
Buses were being laid on to nearby Presevo, where police hand out officials documents and help migrants find their way towards their next destination, the border with Hungary.
Additional reporting by Reuters
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting