A declining sense of smell in older people is a strong predictor of death within just five years, a study published on Wednesday said.
Thirty-nine percent of study subjects who failed a simple smelling test died during that period, compared with 19 percent of those with moderate smell loss and just 10 percent of those with a healthy sense of smell, the journal PLOS ONE reported.
The hazards of smell loss were “strikingly robust,” according to researchers, who said that olfactory dysfunction was better at predicting mortality than a diagnosis of heart failure, cancer or lung disease.
Only severe liver damage was a more powerful predictor of death, they said.
“We think loss of the sense of smell is like the canary in the coal mine,” said the study’s lead author, Jayant Pinto, an associate professor of surgery at the University of Chicago.
“It doesn’t directly cause death, but it’s a harbinger, an early warning that something has gone badly wrong, that damage has been done,” he said.
“Our findings could provide a useful clinical test, a quick and inexpensive way to identify patients most at risk,” he said.
How sense of smell loss relates to mortality is unclear.
“People don’t die just because their olfactory system is damaged,” said Martha McClintock, the study’s senior author.
“Of all human senses, smell is the most undervalued and underappreciated — until it’s gone,” Pinto added.
The study was part of the National Social Life, Health and Aging Project, the first in-home study of social relationships and health in a large, nationally representative sample of men and women aged 57 to 85.
In the first wave of the study (2005-2006), professional survey teams from the university’s National Opinion Research Center used a well-validated test for a field survey of 3,005 participants. It measured their ability to identify five distinct common odors. In the second wave (2010-2011), the survey team confirmed which participants were still alive.
During that five-year gap, 430 (12.5 percent) of the original 3,005 study subjects had died and 2,565 were still alive.
‘DEEPLY DISTURBING’ In one extreme case at an Ontario nursing home, an elderly patient was believed to have choked to death while being fed lying down Conditions at Ontario nursing homes hard-hit by the COVID-19 pandemic, as described by troops helping out there, are “deeply disturbing,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Tuesday. The Canadian military last month deployed troops at the height of the pandemic to five elderly care homes in the nation’s most populous province to fill severe staff shortages. The military said that it found blatant disregard for infection control measures and “horrible” care of seniors that verged on abuse, a report said. The troops said that among other forms of mistreatment, residents had been “left in beds soiled in diapers,” crying for help and
Less than two months after detecting its first COVID-19 infection, Montenegro is the first nation in Europe to declare itself free of the coronavirus, a success story the tiny nation hopes would lure tourists to its Adriatic coast this summer. For weeks hotel staff have been raking empty beaches as the pandemic kept away visitors who would normally be arriving by plane, cruise ship and road this time of year, but finally there is a sliver of hope after Montenegro announced it no longer has any active cases of COVID-19. Tourism operators have already seized the opportunity to brand Montenegro as “Europe’s
With cat photographs and sometimes scathing irony, Switzerland-based Mathieu Rebeaud biochemistry researcher has nearly tripled his Twitter following since the COVID-19 pandemic began. With 14,000 followers, he posts almost daily, giving explanations on the latest scientific research and, in particular, aims to fight misinformation that spreads as fast as the novel coronavirus. He is among a growing number of doctors, academics and institutions who in the past several weeks have adapted and amplified their scientific messaging in hopes of countering what has been termed an “infodemic” — a deluge of information, including widespread false claims, which experts have said can pose a
NEW ZEALAND PM unfazed by quake Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern barely skipped a beat when an earthquake struck during a live TV interview yesterday morning. She interrupted Newshub host Ryan Bridge to tell him what was happening at the parliament complex in the capital, Wellington. “We’re just having a bit of an earthquake here Ryan, quite a decent shake here,” she said, looking up and around the room. “But, um, if you see things moving behind me.” The magnitude 5.6 quake struck in the ocean about 100km northeast of Wellington, the US Geological Survey said. The quake hit just before 8am and