The director of the US National Security Agency (NSA) and his deputy are expected to leave their post in the coming months, officials said on Wednesday, in a development that could give US President Barack Obama a chance to reshape the eavesdropping agency.
NSA Director and US Army General Keith Alexander’s eight-year tenure was rocked this year by revelations contained in documents leaked by former contractor Edward Snowden about the agency’s widespread scooping up of telephone, e-mail and social media data.
Alexander has formalized plans to leave by next March or April, while civilian NSA Deputy Director John Inglis, is to retire by year’s end, according to US officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.
One leading candidate to replace Alexander is US Navy Vice Admiral Michael Rogers, currently commander of the navy’s 10th Fleet and US Fleet Cyber Command, officials said.
The 10th Fleet and Fleet Cyber Command are have headquartered in Fort Meade, Maryland, where the NSA is also based.
There has been no final decision on selecting Rogers to succeed Alexander and other candidates may be considered, the officials said.
NSA spokeswoman Vanee Vines said Alexander planned to leave office in the spring after three extensions to his tenure and the selection of his successor was under way.
“This has nothing to do with media leaks, the decision for his retirement was made prior; an agreement was made with the [US Secretary of Defense John Kerry] and the Chairman for one more year to March next year,” Vines wrote in an e-mail.
Alexander has served as NSA director since August 2005, making him its longest-serving chief. He is also the commander of related military unit the US Cyber Command.
Alexander, who has vigorously defended the NSA’s activities as lawful and necessary to detect and disrupt terrorist plots, said previously that he planned to leave in the first half of next year.
Inglis, who began his NSA career as a computer security scientist, has been the agency’s second-ranking official since 2006.
The NSA — which spies on electronic communications of all kinds and protects US government communications — has been one of the most secretive of all US intelligence outfits. Its employees used to joke that NSA stood for “No Such Agency” or “Never Say Anything.”
However, the agency became the focus of controversy this year when Snowden leaked to the media tens of thousands of highly classified documents from the NSA and its British eavesdropping partner.
While both Alexander and Inglis are leaving voluntarily, the dual vacancies give Obama an opportunity to instal new leadership following Snowden’s revelations and to decide whether the NSA and Cyber Command should have separate leaders.
Cyber Command, which has grown significantly in recent years, has the authority to engage in both defensive and offensive operations in cyberspace.
Many NSA veterans argue that having the same person lead the spy agency and Cyber Command diminishes the emphasis on the NSA’s work and its unique capabilities.
Rogers has been the US Navy’s top cyber commander since September 2011. Before that, he was director of intelligence for the US Joint Chiefs of Staff and for the US Pacific Command.
Rogers is “a good leader, very insightful and well thought of within the community,” said a US defense official who remained anonymous as he was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
Gary Roughead, who retired as the US Navy’s top uniformed officer in September 2011, said Rogers would be a good choice.
“During my time as CNO [chief of naval operations], I spent a great deal of time and attention on cyber, or as we characterized it, information dominance. Mike Rogers was the best in the business and a widely recognized leader in shaping the future in that important domain,” he told reporters. “He would be an extraordinary successor to Keith Alexander.”
PASTA PUNCHLINE: Billy McLean’s spoof poking fun at misinformation on the coronavirus was meant for friends, but is being eaten up by frazzled Britons It started off as an ad-libbed joke for some friends in a soccer banter group and ended up being heard by vast numbers of Britons within hours. However, the man responsible for a joke WhatsApp audio clip that claimed the UK Ministry of Defence was about to requisition Wembley Stadium to cook the world’s biggest lasagna has said his viral success also shows the risks of believing everything that gets sent to you on the messaging service. Billy McLean, a 29-year-old Londoner who works in software sales, came forward to the Guardian to identify himself as the creator of the much-shared clip
‘AN HONORABLE TASK’: The brigade to Italy is the sixth contingent of doctors the nation has sent abroad to aid governments contending with the COVID-19 pandemic Cuba has dispatched doctors and nurses to Italy for the first time this weekend to help fight COVID-19 at the request of the worst-affected region Lombardy, it said. The Caribbean nation has sent its “armies of white robes” to disaster sites around the world largely in poor countries since its 1959 revolution, with doctors on the front lines in the fight against cholera in Haiti and against ebola in West Africa in the 2010s. Yet with the 52-strong brigade, this is the first time Cuba has sent an emergency contingent to Italy, one of the world’s richest countries, demonstrating the reach of
There are growing concerns for the health of Rokia Traore, a Malian singer who has been on hunger strike at the Fleury-Merogis Prison near Paris since she was arrested on March 10 on allegations of kidnapping her daughter in a child custody dispute. “I am very worried,” said Kenneth Feliho, her lawyer. “She is only drinking. She has not been eating for over a week and her immune system is weak.” Among those calling for the musician’ release are African stars including Salif Keita, Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo. Damon Albarn, who performed with her in the group Africa Express, wrote: “We demand,
FATAL IDEA: The nation’s drugs regulator is curbing use of hydroxychloroquine, which Donald Trump has promoted for its alleged potential to treat COVID-19 Australia’s drug regulator has been forced to restrict powers to prescribe a drug undergoing clinical trials to treat COVID-19, because doctors have been inappropriately prescribing it to themselves and their family members, despite potentially deadly side effects. The anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine and the similar compound chloroquine are currently used mostly for patients with autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, but stocks in Australia have been diminished thanks to global publicity — including from US President Donald Trump — about the potential of the drug to treat COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have potentially severe and even deadly side effects if used inappropriately, including