The Netherlands said on Friday it will make a public apology for a series of summary executions carried out by the Dutch army in its former colony Indonesia between 1945 and 1949.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte also announced that The Hague will pay 20,000 euros (US$26,000) to the widows of those killed. The Dutch ambassador in Indonesia will officially present the state’s apology at a Jakarta ceremony on Sept. 12, according to a government communique. The Hague has already apologized and paid out to the relatives of those in particular cases, but it has never said sorry and offered compensation for the victims of general summary executions.
“We are talking about the horrific events in specific cases that resulted in summary executions,” the prime minister said, but added that he would not offer an apology for the entire Dutch military actions in Indonesia.
Concerning the role of the Netherlands during the conflict that led to Indonesia’s independence, Rutte said that the words of the former Dutch foreign minister Ben Bot, who claimed that “the Netherlands found itself on the wrong side of history” during the conflict, remained the view of the government in The Hague.
Two high-profile legal actions have resulted in 20,000 euros being awarded to the relatives of some victims and a public apology for summary executions which took place on the island of Sulawesi and Rawagade village on the island of Java.
The Hague said any new legal action, which met the same criteria from relatives in Rawagade and south Sulawesi would also result in payments of 20,000 euros compensation from the Netherlands. Thousands of Indonesians were killed in the war of independence, which ended in 1949.
More than 60 years on, the role of the Netherlands during the war is a delicate subject between the two countries.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding