This week’s leadership election has riveted Hong Kong with all the political rough-and-tumble that is typical of a thriving democracy. There’s only one thing missing — the voters.
Ordinary Hong Kongers will have no say in who becomes their next chief executive on Sunday. Instead the “election” will be decided by a carefully selected committee of 1,200 pro-Beijing business and professional elites.
That detail aside, the main candidates have turned on a political spectacle that analysts say the former British colony has never seen, one that could offer a taste of things to come when direct elections arrive, possibly as early as 2017.
“This is the first real contest between two pro-establishment candidates,” Chinese University of Hong Kong history professor Willy Lam (林和立) said. “It’s very entertaining, but at the same time people are quite frustrated because both candidates have shortcomings, scandals and potential problems.”
Henry Tang (唐英年), 59, the heir to a textile fortune and the territory’s former No. 2, was reportedly Beijing’s man and a shoo-in for the job until his campaign veered dramatically off course almost from day one.
It started with an emotional public admission of marital infidelity, lurched through a series of verbal gaffes and blunders, and burst spectacularly into flames with the discovery of a massive illegal underground entertainment den at his home, which he blamed on his wife.
His popularity rankings plunged to a low of 16 percent.
Tang’s main rival, Leung Chun-ying (梁振英), 57, is a former government adviser who has consistently led opinion polls, but trails where it matters — in the regard of Beijing’s partners among the territory’s super-rich tycoons.
Despite questions over an alleged conflict of interest in a property project a decade ago and reports that he dined with triad figures, his promises to boost social welfare and public housing have proved popular with ordinary citizens who are angry over the yawning gap between rich and poor.
Beijing has appeared taken aback by the intensity of the contest and it has not come to the rescue of Tang with a public statement of endorsement, which could have inflamed anti-China sentiment.
However, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao (溫家寶) set a cat among the pigeons last week when he said he was confident outgoing Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang (曾蔭權) would be replaced by a leader who has the support of the “vast majority” of the people.
Political analysts pored over the premier’s comment. Was it a sign that Beijing was shifting its support to Leung?
If it was, the territory’s wealthiest tycoon and Asia’s richest man, Li Ka-shing (李嘉誠), didn’t get the message. The 83-year-old billionaire broke his silence on Friday with a statement saying Tang “has experience” and his election would be “good.”
Analysts say Beijing has been embarrassed by the noisy ruckus that has disturbed the carefully crafted political consensus it has cultivated in the semi-autonomous territory of 7 million people.
“Beijing felt it has lost face because the two people they have groomed for so long have failed to stand up to the test,” said Lam, referring to both Tang and Leung, both of whom are seen as establishment figures.
Many observers also spy greater Chinese issues at play, as Beijing’s reformers led by Chinese President Hu Jintao’s (胡錦濤) faction do battle with conservatives in the Communist Party ahead of a 10-yearly leadership transition.
“Certainly, having someone like Leung in office who would support such reform moves is a bigger signal to the rest of China,” Hong Kong Baptist University political scientist Michael DeGolyer said. “That’s why the reformists group is pushing quite hard for Leung.”
However, Albert Lai (黎廣德) of the pro-democracy Civic Party said that at the end of the day both Tang and Leung “will be serving the same set of vested interests.”
“They are appointed by the same set of autocrats — Beijing plus the tycoons,” he said.
The pro-democracy camp is represented by a third candidate, lawyer and lawmaker Albert Ho (何俊仁), but analysts say he has no chance of winning the backing of the electoral committee.
The Chinese Communist Party said that, at the earliest, the territory’s chief executive could be directly elected in 2017 and the legislature by 2020.
Denied a genuine say in the outcome of Sunday’s election, many Hong Kongers are fed up with the whole thing.
“It’s a fight between two rotten apples,” 39-year-old hair stylist Gary Or said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told